Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How do you know when the fish food turns bad?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How do you know when the fish food turns bad?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    For our food we know once we taste. We also can smell

But for fish food dont tell me you taste. I also dont smell as i cant freaking tell the difference cause the smell is already so bad!

Frozen blood worm i keep in my fridge damn long already
    will it turn bad???

thanks
    Last edited by iyanden; 5th Nov 2007 at 21:24.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    heh. I have often wondered about that too. I buy the smaller containers of food just for this reason. When one of the containers is almost completely empty, I go and buy something new. Because I use the smaller containers, they don't last as long as the bigger stuff. Some containers have expiration dates, but I have found that most of mine do not. Keeping them in the fridge will prolong their storage life, just like with brineshrimp eggs.
    As for the frozen stuff- I use the smaller bags too, but after about six months of being in the freezer, I get kind of conserned about using it. check for expiration date, that is a good guideline to go with. If I have some in the freezer and don't know when I bought it or it has some parts that have freezer burn- I won't use it.
    I guess it depends on your preference and wether you will chance feeding it to your fish, most likely it won't hurt them, but it could lower their resistance to disease- older stuff doesn't have as much nutrition as it did when it was first packaged. As long as you provide a varied diet (live/frozen/dried, different brands, protein/plant matterial suiting for you fish species) you shouldn't have to worry. Don't know what to tell you exactly... anyone else have an opinion?
    Last edited by DazzleDiscus; 5th Nov 2007 at 02:47. Reason: correcting/clarifying
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fishfood does not smell that bad. It is similar to dried seafood.Hikari Carnivore Pellets smell the nicest. And yes you can tell the difference when it turns bad. I buy Tetrabits in the large packing that will last me 3 months. I repack some into another small jar for feeding and refill when necessary then store the rest as opening the container daily will cause moisture contamination and eventually mould.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    ah yes... especially with the freeze-dried daphia by Hikari. Forgot about that... bryan do you store the bigger container in the fridge or just in a moistless place?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No, i just make sure the container is closed properly. The only problem I have now is the humidity from the 4 tanks in my living room that is turning the furniture mouldy.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have problems with flake food for guppies turning bad if I open it daily. Small mites will turn up some day and I got to throw it all away. So nowadays I keep them in the fridge.

For pellet food like tetrabits, I transfer them to smaller containers and refill when necessary. So far is fine at room temperature.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler View Post
    I have problems with flake food for guppies turning bad if I open it daily. Small mites will turn up some day and I got to throw it all away.
    Yuck!

bryan- wow! four tanks in your livingroom! wish mom would let me do that! Anyway, they must be pretty big to cause your furniture to mold... dehumidifier perhaps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    sorry... got off subject! I guess to sum it all up, if you find something crawling in it, it's time to toss. Unless posted by date, I guess it would be up to you when to stop using it. Variety is key-

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Best is buy food which has expiry dates and if possible in small bottled ones than the chances of it spoiling will be lesser cos will finish faster. If you're buying big bottled ones, transfer them to smaller containers and refill when necessary. I avoid buying flakes cos they are harder to keep in humid s'pore and have to put in the fridge which will incur the nagging of my mom.

As for spoilt dried food... There're times when i noticed that my fishes look sick despite weekly water changes and the food dun seem to have any mites and after i change the food they become ok. That's when i know that the food is no good liao. When you do see that there are mites inside, it means the food is already very bad.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me