Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    ----------------
    On 12/25/2001 10:39:45 PM

What about using antibiotics ? Read that erythromycin will clear BBA in 2 days. Tried to stop fert but my riccia started turning brown. I can't use Yamatoes cos' they always end up "cooked" in my tank, SAE seems to eat other algae but the moment it encounters a tuft of BBA, it hits the brakes and moves elsewhere.
    ----------------
    afraid you're gonna come up empty, chief
    antibiotics will fight bGa, but not bba
    and nothing will eat black Beard algae, the curly hair like strands that refuse to melt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For me, clearing bba means cutting away those infected plants, clearing those infected gravels and vacuuming the substrate. Maintain a strict water changing schedule and they have no choice but to go away. One more thing, stop feeding the plants for a while.

Feedback Score
    Looks like I may have to do the inevitable some time or other....tear down the tankand do a thorough cleaning[] damn BBA
    What about the filter material ? throughly clean it too ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/26/2001 8:03:04 PM

Looks like I may have to do the inevitable some time or other....tear down the tankand do a thorough cleaning[] damn BBA
    What about the filter material ? throughly clean it too ?
    ----------------
    scoobydoo,
    Is your infestation very serious? If the plants are really infested, just throw them away. For filter medium, there is no point changing, it may cause u to start cycling again. As long as BBA does not overwhelm everything, just bear with it. Its part of nature.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To redo the tank wouldn't be such a good idea....... the problem will prolly arise again if you don't know the root of the problem. Normally, patience will be the best tool to fight bba. Like wat wks pointed out, you have to slowly clear out by hand.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I redid my tank totally abt a month and a half ago... BBA is back again....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/26/2001 8:56:47 PM

I redid my tank totally abt a month and a half ago... BBA is back again....
    ----------------
    UWW,

Thanx for proving my point
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sherchoo: Sigh... my heart pain again leh when I see BBA again... Damn![]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    one drastic measure is to treat it with copper ... but your plants and fishes esp prawns will be affected
    -Paw here-

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I used an algicide before, it controlled the BBA but u still need to remove any large BBAs by hand first... Well this measure was too drastic - my fish died and my plants are stunted (although on the label it said it does not affect anything except algae). Do it at your own risk, start with low doses... That is what I am doing nowadays, small doses...

Feedback Score
    Mine's not that bad yet, just that I see them sprouting up pretty quicky. I tried algacide b4, the riccia almost died, glosso gone, other plants started to turn brown b4 recovering again after several water changes. But it did get rid of all the algae though. Well then, I'll try to control it by hand for now, until the war cannnot be won []

Feedback Score
    Hi guys,

I tried the barley straw, but only half packet for my ~130 litres tank, algae still there especially on the white diffusor plate. [] []

My plants seemed to be stunted after I introduced the straw, anyone of you experienced the same thing??

Dino

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    after redoing the whole tank .... now at least there are no BBA in sight for two months, quite relieved, but the incident made me stock up a lot of maintenance fishes ...

i have ~10 SAEs, ~10 otos, more than hundred of shrimps, have yet to put yamatoes
    -Paw here-

Feedback Score
    Airstern, ironic isn't it ? We end up buying more of these "maintainence" fishes than those we really want to admire.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its good to have different types of algae eaters to keep algae at bay, fishes like corydorus to clean up the leftover food or even shrimps to clean debris which imho is one of the reasons to BBA

Where to buy cheap yamatoes ?? Wow 80 of them? I think I will need them soon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i don't think you need so many lah... i think david need 80 cuz they always get eaten... maybe 30 enough...
    yamatoes quite ex... can get at petmart...

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 12/27/2001 3:00:14 PM

Where to buy cheap yamatoes ?? Wow 80 of them? I think I will need them soon.
    ----------------
    Hi Weileong,

You can try Nature Aquarium at Thomson Rd (opp Thomson Medical Centre), I got them 10 for $7.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah... I tried the algicide and my fish and plants are either dead or badly affected. All I can say I am trying natural methods again, to least curb the BBA's growth, cos eliminating it is almost impossible...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

tried to introduce yamatoes, 100+ shrimps, black mollies, ard 8 SAEs, 10+ otos .... totally removed my CO2 setup ... all these helped to a certain extent, but the attack is still there and wont go away, had tried to change 20% every two days but to no help ...

----------------
    hi,
    does stopping the CO2 supply help to remove algae ?
    how ??

thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast