Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plants that require no/little CO2, fertilisers

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, currently my tank i have is not running any C02 or have any soil subtrate. I am just plainly using black gravel sand... However i would wish to add some live plants into my tank and i have heard from some people that there are plants that require little or no C02 as well...i know for fertilisers you can add some fertiliser liquid once in a while right?

I just hope that some bros here can really help me on this...

1) What plants can i go and get?

2) What liquid fertilisers are the best? (as in will not harm the fishes that i have in the tank)

I currently have 4 cherry barbs, 20 neon tetras, 8 palties, 2 mollies and 4 holland rams in my tank. I just bought 4 days ago 10 cherry shrimps....and they are all surviving well... please do advise...appreciate for all the help in advance

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Its too hard to tell you what plants you can get..because there are just so many and i don't know how you want to setup your tank..
    It is your tank eventually and only you know what plants you need... so pick a few.. search around on the internet.. then either post pictures or scientific names about the plants you're interested in getting and then we would be able to tell you if they thrive in a non-co2 condition.
    Frankly speaking.. a huge majority of plants are able to grow really well without co2.. so its not that much of a concern... just be more specific in your questions.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Never... without any CO2 but rather low CO2 without any addition with respect to the amount of light.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee View Post
    Never... without any CO2 but rather low CO2 without any addition with respect to the amount of light.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Thanks for pointing out this simple yet crucial point, Peter .
    Benjamin Lau
    Mobile: 91707655
    Email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee View Post

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Peter.. this sentence quite hard to read leh.. i mean without the punctuation... what were you refering to..??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    , sorry about that. Plants cannot grow without CO2 but they do fine with low CO2 (stable) without supplement.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Since you don't have ferts in your substrate and sounds like you don't plan to do so, go for plants that don't need rich substrate... Classic examples are Java Fern & Nana. These do well in low light and non-CO2 enriched tanks too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylai View Post
    Since you don't have ferts in your substrate and sounds like you don't plan to do so, go for plants that don't need rich substrate... Classic examples are Java Fern & Nana. These do well in low light and non-CO2 enriched tanks too.
    Thanks for the kind info!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyFish View Post
    Hi all, currently my tank i have is not running any C02 or have any soil subtrate. I am just plainly using black gravel sand... However i would wish to add some live plants into my tank and i have heard from some people that there are plants that require little or no C02 as well...i know for fertilisers you can add some fertiliser liquid once in a while right?

I just hope that some bros here can really help me on this...

1) What plants can i go and get?

2) What liquid fertilisers are the best? (as in will not harm the fishes that i have in the tank)

I currently have 4 cherry barbs, 20 neon tetras, 8 palties, 2 mollies and 4 holland rams in my tank. I just bought 4 days ago 10 cherry shrimps....and they are all surviving well... please do advise...appreciate for all the help in advance

Stem plants - you can try cabomba and bacopa they grow madly with little input of c02.

Mosses - java moss is a nice moss to start with, require little light and c02 to grow. Does very well in lower temperature conditions.

All fertilizers are generally good, its about inserting them in the right amount. To start off, you might want to try those all-in one bottles rather than go one those individual components.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by marle View Post

All fertilizers are generally good, its about inserting them in the right amount. To start off, you might want to try those all-in one bottles rather than go one those individual components.
    I am using Sera Florena... Is it good? i bought from c328 last week....uncle told me not bad...its a fertiliser to help plants grow right ?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyFish View Post
    I am using Sera Florena... Is it good? i bought from c328 last week....uncle told me not bad...its a fertiliser to help plants grow right ?
    Sera is a trusted brand by many worldwide, but i only buy sera for fish food, have not tried it as a fertilizer. But not to worry, Florena does help plants to grow well as it is basically a general liquid fertilizer. Follow the instructions on the bottle, try not to overdose!
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think to answer your question of plants that require little/no CO2, it should be categorised like the below....

Plants that can be grown with substrate that has no base fert (as in your case) only dose liquid fert, Lights at 1.5 - 2WPG.

Stem Plants

Rosette Plants
    1. most Crypts
    2. all Anubias
    3. all Java Ferns

Others
    1. Java Moss

I think thats what you probably have in mind when you post the question. Maybe the experts here can add in and see whether we can come up with a list a not?
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With just sand and without good (fertilized) substrate most stem and rooted plants will not growth well. You can either redo your tank or use root tablet as boaster.

If not, I think your choice is very limited. Plants like fern, nana, moss, floaters (hornwort, frogbits, etc) will do ok. Crypts are perpetually hungry for iron/nutrients and are heavy root-feeder; it will not do well without based substrate.

Without CO2 injection, plants will grow slower (4-6x) but CO2 injection is not a must.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can hair grass be planted in the above arrangement?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    java ferns, nana petite , tw/ java moss.