Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Need some help on DIY CO2 and diffuser...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Need some help on DIY CO2 and diffuser...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have bought one of the diffuser like this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

I am using for 10g tank. I wanted to try DIY co2 setup and I got a bottle of gatorade. I made a small hole where I can put the air tube inside. I got some water on my gatorade bottle and I put half cup of sugar and dry yest from red star. Mixed very well. Before I connect to the tube to the diffuser, I did blew some air to diffuser how the bubble might come up. When blew, nothing happened and air looked trapped inside the glass. Any ways, I connect the tube to diffuser and put them in the tank. I waitted 3-4hours, still no sign of bubbles and thought I did something wrong and made the water again. I left it on while I was sleeping but, still had no bubbles. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be nice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would suggest for you to use flipper instead of diffuser. Diffuser required a lots of pressure and your DIY CO2 may not generate sufficient pressure.

By the way, you can just sprinkle the yeast on top of the sugar water. What I mean is mixed the sugar and water well but don’t mix the yeast together. It take 24 hours before bubble start coming out from flipper, so it may take longer for diffuser.

Why don’t you use soft drink bottle? It was design for pressure, not sure if Gatorade bottle able to withstand the pressure and most importantly no leakage.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Alright. I try this water bottle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no-no, water bottle (assuming those mineral water plastic botlle) is even worst. Go for Pepsi, cocal cola, 7-up, etc, any carbonated softdrink bottle.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    ah... ok. Again I think it's my diffuser ~_~
    I did hook up air pump for 1hour to see if diffuser still work and still no air coming out from diffuser...
    I know I had the co2 in my gatorade bottle because when I opened the cap, I heard some kind of air coming out.
    Any ways, I'm going to try the chopstick method I just thought about. If this still doesn't work I will try the pepsi bottle.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Shadow, I have used pepsi bottle and worked~ but, I used bamboo chopstick. I think my cap of gatorade didn't have good hole on the cap. I think I will make another one with co2 diffuser see if it works this time. My 1st time using co2 and how long should I turn on?
    Last edited by go9ma123; 12th Nov 2007 at 17:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    24 hours, no choice for DIY because you have no way of turning it off.

By the way interested to know what is the bamboo chopstick method?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    If you can see the picture of the chopstick, I cut the bottom part. I put that in the air tube. Before I put that in the fish tank, I got a bottle of water and hooked my air pump in to it see how the bubble would come up. As I seen, it looked like one of those air stone bubbles. But, it looked like a lot smaller. If u got a chopstick try it~ It's pretty good to me~ Cheap and easy method. hehe.
    If I did use co2 diffuser it would have been taken a lot of time taking out the pressuer inside the diffuser.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (5.1 KB, 33 views)