Images
    Country
    Singapore

Betta macrostoma

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was enticed by the photos posted by Benny on Betta macrostoma and could no longer resist the urge to get a pair myself. Got this mac. over the weekends.

Last edited by benny; 13th Nov 2007 at 12:30. Reason: fix image link
    God will make a way, where there seems to be no way

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This pair looks like the pair in C328 last week.

I just noticed one of my surviving F1 is a female. I put her with my male 2 days ago and now the male is mouthbrooding.
    Cheers,
    Chee Wei

From Sarawak: C.Pallidinervia, C.Bullosa, C.Keei, C. Yujii, Barcalaya sp.From Peninsula Malaysia: C.nurii, C.cordata, C.afinnis, C.minima, C.purpurea, C.eliptica
    Bettas: b. ideii, b. macrostoma, b. pallifina, b. ocellata, b. channoides

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Congrats!!!

I've been thinking about starting a pair of wild betta too!! But haven't got around to deciding which pair. Singaporean hobbyists are really spoilt for choice.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Congrats!!!

I've been thinking about starting a pair of wild betta too!! But haven't got around to deciding which pair. Singaporean hobbyists are really spoilt for choice.

Cheers,
    Just go to Compassvale Crescent to practive your fish catching skill. Net of a few sizes are provided.
    Cheers,
    Chee Wei

From Sarawak: C.Pallidinervia, C.Bullosa, C.Keei, C. Yujii, Barcalaya sp.From Peninsula Malaysia: C.nurii, C.cordata, C.afinnis, C.minima, C.purpurea, C.eliptica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtan12 View Post
    This pair looks like the pair in C328 last week.

I just noticed one of my surviving F1 is a female. I put her with my male 2 days ago and now the male is mouthbrooding.
    You're spot on. It's from C328. Congrats to you. You have a wild pair? Can post some photos of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Congrats!!!

Cheers,
    Thanks. Which other lfs stocks them or getting from forumers? Want to see them in reality.
    Last edited by leeruisheng; 13th Nov 2007 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I read that it's a very difficult species to handle. Requires very clean water and susceptible to diesease. How true is it? Anyone?

Any pointers to raise them up?

Is it still possible to get a wild pair?

Thanks.
    Last edited by leeruisheng; 13th Nov 2007 at 13:54.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ruisheng,

I will take photos of the mouthbrooding b. macrostoma male these 2 days but the photo quality will be bad because I wont use flash when they are mouth brooding. I will try to take the pics of my few mm long betta ideii and pallifina if I can find them.

Maybe you would like to share your tank setup and I will share with you my views about it.
    Cheers,
    Chee Wei

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks cwtan12. Looking forward to your photos. Possible to capture some shots of B.channoides? Another of my favourite.

Tank setup. 2ft tank. ADA amazonia. Ehiem Liberty filter. Floras are mainly crypts and moss. pH 6.4. Temperature varies from 24 to 26 degrees due to aircon in the night.

I've no intention of breeding them.
    Last edited by leeruisheng; 16th Nov 2007 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I dont have betta channoides now. I have bred all the betta unimaculata group that I had them in pairs but I have not bred any from betta albimarginata group.

Keeping betta macrostoma alive is not difficult if they dont fight. If they fight, simply house one in a breeding net or breeding container. Just let them see each other and get used to each other. This may take a few days to months.

Temperature
    If your water temperature is not consistent and they may be prone to illnesses. I used to turn on my aircond 24/7 at 24 degrees but nowadays it's off for 6-7 hours a day from midnight onwards. My tanks are bigger. So the fluctuation isn't that much.

Water parameter
    They should do well in any tank bigger than 60litres of water as long as they don't fight. I always maintain my pH above 5 and below 6.2. As for GH and KH, I try to maintain it at 3-6. NO2 and NH3 are always 0. I know someone who swears by having low pH such as 4.5-5 for betta macrostoma but I find it very difficult to maintain at that level. I may end up having low pH on 1 day and higher a week later.

Breeding
    You may like to try breeding them in the future because it's interesting to see them breed.

From my experience, the most efficient way to pair them is to let them choose their own mate. Buy a few juveniles, watch them grow and pair is better and less risky than get 2 adult males and 2 females and pairing them ourselves.

I don't wait for rainy season to breed the species from the group. What I usually do is to do a major water change (30-60&#37 if I want any of my betta from betta unimaculata group to mate. Whether they swallow the eggs later is another thing. My betta ideii and palifina bred successfully in community tanks of 10-15 fishes with macrostoma and ocelata inside. However, I still find water quality is the main factor to determine whether they swallow their eggs or not.

All these are from my own observation and experiences which may differ from others'.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 17th Jan 2008 at 22:08. Reason: Remove immediate quote
    Cheers,
    Chee Wei

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks alot cwtan12.

What's the diet of your macrostoma?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most of the time is cherry and green shrimps. When I am back, sometimes I buy live brine shrimps and tubifex. They eat frozen food also.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 14th Nov 2007 at 19:33. Reason: Remove immediate quote
    Cheers,
    Chee Wei

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I tried feeding them with frozen mysis but only the female has a liking towards it. It seems that the female eats whatever food i've thrown in. Didn't want to try frozen blood worms due to higher chances of being affected with internal bacteria. What kind of frozen food do you feed them?

I read that they macrostoma are good jumpers and its' recommended to cover the tank. Any take on that? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ruisheng,

Most Bettas are known to be jumpers. You can use and acrylic sheet (those tank divider) as cover.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by leeruisheng View Post
    I read that they macrostoma are good jumpers and its' recommended to cover the tank. Any take on that? Thanks.
    That's very true. Seen one jump through a small hole and land a couple of meters away from my leg.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I witness that too.

Ruisheng,

Make sure you cover all holes. A little hole and there is an opportunity for them to jump.
    Nicholas

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom
    O yes they love to jump, i was looking for my betta simplex in my tank and could not find her, then when i looked into the bucket of water for a water change, there she was happily swimming around. Lucky escape. When feeding they know your coming and they will jump up out of the water to get the food of the dropper. My simplex will not stop breeding got loads of baby fish now, nearly to many, my local fish shop is taken them of me for credit. I have got them looking for the snake head betta has anybody know anything about it, but now i think i have changed my mind and i'm gonna ask for macrosroma. Good luck with the brooding
    and death will have no dominian

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, thanks for all the replies. Any idea how high they can jump? Will it be to the extend that the whole body would be emersed from the water? My water level is around 6cm below the height of the tank and I'm using Ehiem liberty filter. Maybe can further lower the water level so as to avoid having to place a cover.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ruisheng,

Why take the risk with bettas?

They are well known jumpers.

Better safe then sorry.

Cover the tank unless you want to see Sashimi "macrostoma".
    Nicholas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with covering, offers 100% insurance. But just want to find out more details or experiences from those who have kept macrostoma. The problem why I want to try avoiding having a cover is that I'm using a hang on filter and then there are CO2 tubing and a pH probe. So must customize a cover.

Now my mac's are adapting well. Both have a liking towards frozen mysis mixed with spirulina. Male is exhibiting more orange tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    but now i think i have changed my mind and i'm gonna ask for macrosroma. Good luck with the brooding
    Caesar. You will not regret having a mac. Initially I wasn't really into bettas, but with those images of mac flashing around, it's very hard not to agree with them that it's really a Brunei beauty.
    Last edited by leeruisheng; 16th Nov 2007 at 11:07.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I am keeping lot of wild betta and a pair of Macrostoma too. All of them are good jumpers. Thus, all my tanks for them are with covers.

I had experience of Macrostoma jumping out from tank (more then 1 time)and found in another room. They tends to jump more if there are flying insects flying around the surface of your tank.

I had a hang on filter and tubing for my Macrostoma tank. I had bought net (black in colour from hardware shop) to cover the top of tank and had used clips to hold the net to the tank. Spoilt the look of the tank set up though but it will save your Macrostoma from "suciding". Another option is that you can lower the level of your water. Hope the info help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast