Thread: filtration for 1ft tank

Feedback Score

filtration for 1ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi...
    i was thinking of starting a 1 ft tank n keeping some java moss and java fern...nothing tt would need a substrate..was wondering if a undergravel filter will be adequete for this purpose...should i inject diy co2 or are the plants healthy enough to do without it? because i eventually intend on keepin some fishes once it settles...i'm worried the concentration of co2 will be too much for the fish to handle..
    thanx

Feedback Score

filtration for 1ft tank

hi...
    i was thinking of starting a 1 ft tank n keeping some java moss and java fern...nothing tt would need a substrate..was wondering if a undergravel filter will be adequete for this purpose...should i inject diy co2 or are the plants healthy enough to do without it? because i eventually intend on keepin some fishes once it settles...i'm worried the concentration of co2 will be too much for the fish to handle..
    thanx

Feedback Score

filtration for 1ft tank

hi...
    thanx

Feedback Score

filtration for 1ft tank

hi...
    thanx

Feedback Score
    Try a overhang Filter...
    IMO, looks better than an undergravel...
    (btw, undergravel filter w/o gravel...????)

Most moss don't really need much CO2 and light...
    I had a setup previously like what you have mentioned
    using a overhang filter...
    Works very well....

http://www.aquarealms.com/viewtopic....p;amp;start=15

Feedback Score
    what do u mean by overhang filter? do u mean topfilter, the king on 2 ft lh tanks? under gravel filter with gravel of course.

Feedback Score
    No... Not those for luohan...
    I'm refering to those power filters that have the filtering chamber behind the tank.. input thru a pipe and overflows back into the tank...

IMO, those are the best for small tanks that wants good looks and space....
    also makes maintenance easier...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    phang, got xmas moss for me?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kubrich, u can try eden series of internal filters, they r small.. overhead filter will increase loss of CO2,

or u can try without a filter first and only add it when there is a need to, (perharps when u intro fishes in)

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    kubrich, u can try eden series of internal filters, they r small.. overhead filter will increase loss of CO2,

---------------
    You can raise the water level till it is above the output of the overhang filter. Again, this very much depends on the kind of tank you are using... most small tanks are suitable for this approach .... then your problems are solved....

Internal filters are great but they they take up too much space esp when a tank is only 1 feet ....

Feedback Score
    but what is wrong with undergravel filters?i'm not particularly keen on hang over filters and all cos of the turbulance and not very keen on the eden small filters cos of cost...undergravel filter seems cheaper and just need to attach to air pump..but wondering if it will provide sufficient filtration and will it be suitable for plants like java moss and java fern and fishies...[]

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 10/9/2002 12:02:47 PM

phang, got xmas moss for me?

----------------
    Hey Friend,

I have long departed from Planted tanks and started playing with reef/marine setups...
    However, You are in luck... I have jus helped my friend, also a forumer here with his 5 foot moss/fern aquascaping... spent the last 12 hrs without any sleep!!!!!...

He has excess... I will talk to him about this again... maybe can contribute some to you....
    BTW, You are refering to what quantity???

Phang

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 10/9/2002 12:16:42 PM

but what is wrong with undergravel filters?i'm not particularly keen on hang over filters and all cos of the turbulance and not very keen on the eden small filters cos of cost...undergravel filter seems cheaper and just need to attach to air pump..but wondering if it will provide sufficient filtration and will it be suitable for plants like java moss and java fern and fishies...[]
    ----------------
    How are you going to maintain your CO2 when you are pumping in atmospheric air????
    You are robbing your ferns/moss of the vital CO2 for growth... next thing, pumping air into your system will create a breeding ground for algae... that's a definite

Besides, overhanging filters/internal filters don't really cost that much...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    phang,

i only have a small tank... 15" only...
    beggars cannot be choosers...
    any amount will do... i will try to cultivate them myself... many thanks!

btw guys, i'm using the liberty 100 and i pump my DIY CO2 into the filter inlet... CO2 dissolution seems acceptable to me so far by the growth of the plants... and algae of course...

but now that i have heard comments that i could be better off with a CO2 collector... i might just come up with something simple... can't wait to push it out into the production environment tomorrow morning...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how about a small powerhead?