Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

cherry barb with bloated stomach

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    2 of my female cherry barbs have developed a big belly. At first I thought they are pregnant but its been a few weeks already and they're still the same. Other than that, they look healthy though. Any wise words from the forum?

may thanks
    Last edited by benny; 15th Nov 2007 at 02:41. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Perhaps they are just gravid and ready for spawning. What would be best is to have a picture to let us give you better advice. Otherwise, it's anyone's guess. That one statement you give doesn't give us a lot to work with.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Are the scales flared? If they are, its likely dropsy.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    There is also a high possibility that it's dropsy/bloat. Actually, they need some amount of vegetable matter in their diet. In my humble experience, they can be prone to dropsy/bloat due to high protein food.

It would be good to have a clear picture of the fish in question, otherwise it's just educated quesses.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Dropsy cant servive for weeks

CHeers..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    might just be overfeeding

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

bloated cherry barbs

Thks all

agree that its unlikely to be dropsy cos the fishes behave normally and have been like that for many weeks. anyway here's some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Actually dropsy (Ascites) is a symptom rather than a disease itself. So there can be acute or chronic dropsy, and some fishes may survive for weeks.

See Wikipedia, Fish Dropsy, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_Dropsy (as of Nov. 18, 2007, 11:08 GMT).
    Quote Originally Posted by www.wikipedia.org
    This disease is characterised by a swollen or hollow abdomen (Ascites). A concentration of fluid in the body tissues and cavities causes the fish's abdomen to become swollen and appear bloated. Swollen areas may exhibit a 'pine-cone' appearance caused by the fishes scales sticking out.
    Many aquarists mistaken dropsy with the 'pine-cone' appearance only, but any swollen/bloated abdomen can also be dropsy (note the word "may" in the Wikipedia citation). It is also assumed that dropsy is incurable, but this is not true. It can be curable if it is caused by bacterial infection and detected early, but treatment can be difficult. And by the time the 'pine-cone' appearance appears, it is almost at the incurable stage. That said...

chek, the fishes in the pictures seem to be just being overfed. In case of Ascites, the stomach will show an unnatural bloat. The bloat on your fishes' stomachs don't seem to be unnatural.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the fish just look like they've been overfed to me as well. i've seen similar looking ones before that became normal after feeding was cut back

Feedback Score
    Country
    Romania
    I have a female rosy barb that is bloated just like that, maybe even more. It's been like that for months with no change. Doesn't show any abnormal behaviour. Seems happy and very active, so I guess it could be overfeeding or something. They do get alot of vegetables in their diet though, but alot of proteins also.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks, looks like I have 2 greedy fishes then.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like a case of over feeding, stop feeding for 2-3 days and see what happens.
    If they are really bloated due to constipation, a large dose of epsom salt should purge everything out.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/