Country
    Singapore

Need recomendation on DSLR camera

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I'm thinking to buy DSLR camera on the coming sitex (end of the month).

After some windows shopping at Sim Lim and funan, I decided to give my self budget of around S$1200, which is enough for Canon EOS400D with kit lens.

Other model with similar price are (but not sure if it is with kit lens):
    Nikon D40X
    Olympus E-510
    Samsung GX-10
    Sony DSLR-A100

Did some searcing on camera review at "DPreview" and except Olympus and Samsung which no indepth review, the other 3 brand are highly recomended. Since I'm a newbie, I do not know what else should I look for.

Any recomendation?

Thanks in advance
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Robert,

I think most of your choices are excellent cameras. The Canon and Nikon options are well supported with accessories and service.

Personally, most of us here use Canon as there is an informal group using the same system and it's actually very easy to get advice specific to aquatic photography. However, you can definitely achieve the same results with the other brands as well. Perhaps a trip to the shop will help you make a better decision after you get a feel of the cameras.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm a die hard fan of Nikon. Reliable & durable. So, I'm not in the position to advise you .

For camera, always go for Canon or Nikon & you'll never go wrong. How I wish I can also put up the same post as you .
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nikon Nikon Nikon!!!!
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No NIKON vs CANON debates in AQ!!!!
    But of course Canon will always win lar.

Jokes aside, go down to the shops and try out the cameras. Most of the time, comfort and ease of use wins over all reviews or recommendations. I chose Canon because I don't like the controls and feel of the Nikons. But, Nikon does have better line of lenses compared with Canon.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh ya..Vincent hit the nail on the head... you must hold the camera. The EOS400D was too small for my hands.. my pinkie finger was left dangling...
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Jeffrey,

Perhaps you can start a Nikon user group with luenny and balance up the equation. We do have a few Nikon users around, but not too active. Maybe with a usergroup, that will change.

By the way, I used to be a Nikon user too. It was in the old film days when Nikon's FM2 would get a nod of respect from fellow users. Then I went on to AF and was playing with the F401 and F601. I've always felt that Nikon seems to have more flash option.

Currently, Nikon items on my watch list are D3, the 105 VR macro, the wireless twin macro flash. But.... pocket to weak to sustain such an interest.

Cheers,

p.s. would you like me to lend you a Canon 40D plus lenses?
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post

p.s. would you like me to lend you a Canon 40D plus lenses?
    That's POISON!

I would agree on the setting up of a Nikon user group. Stan is a Nikon user too. I believe Thio from Biotope is a Nikon user too.
    It would help to have a group to exchange of items and advice. Sometimes, it is difficult to suggest certain settings to a Nikon user by a Canon user.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Well.. first you have to decide what you want to shoot.. or what you would use the camera for and in what situations you would shoot most... then go for the brand that supports this the best.. Both Nikon and Canon are excellent choices and the differences are relatively minor....so it all boils down to what is the use for the camera.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I will recommend going with the main stream of the users, Canon and Nikon. Not only do you can support and help from similar brand users, getting lens to test drive before you dive into one is usually a major plus. All said and done, you have to remember and believe that what makes a photographer good lies mainly on the photographer, their equipments are just tools to help them achieve what is their intent

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the reply,

To answer ranmasatome question, I would like to take photo of my tank and fishes. I also like to take a scenery photo, old building, bridge, don't really like taking people photo . I'm not a heavy build so thinking to get something light.

From the above reply, seem like it is boiled down to Canon and Nikon. Hard to chose. I will go down to Best Denki, they have couples of model on show; will try it out the handling.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    May I suggest heading to TKfoto at shaw leisure in beach road. They are very competitive in pricing. Are you looking for a interest-free purchase? most shops like tkfoto, mscolor, cathay photo have them as well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I echo Simon's suggestion... Tk photo is pretty good.. go early though, they close at 6pm or 7pm.

As for starting a user group, no problems about that except that I am still a novice in photography...

Benny, do not tempt me...
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Wah, I didn't know there are so many other Nikon users here.

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Jeffrey,

Perhaps you can start a Nikon user group with luenny and balance up the equation. We do have a few Nikon users around, but not too active. Maybe with a usergroup, that will change.

Currently, Nikon items on my watch list are D3, the 105 VR macro, the wireless twin macro flash. But.... pocket to weak to sustain such an interest.
    User group for Nikon and Canon? I don't even know such things exists? A usergroup would be nice but I wouldn't want to join if it's all talk about how great Nikon is and stuff like that. To me, I use Nikon because I like the way it feels and I like certain things about it like the reliability etc. I'm not going to preach what other people should use. Let's respect other people for their choices ok. If the usergroup is about exchanging shooting information, then count me in. But then, why should we limit to the brand if the aim is to make ourselves better photographers?

And Benny, don't tempt me. I already have 105 VR macro. Still saving up for the twin flash. Hahaha!! As for D3, I'll get it when I'm worthy for it. My current skill set only barely allow me to use my D200. Hahaha!!
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Hi All,

After some windows shopping at Sim Lim and funan, I decided to give my self budget of around S$1200, which is enough for Canon EOS400D with kit lens.

Other model with similar price are (but not sure if it is with kit lens):
    Nikon D40X
    Olympus E-510
    Samsung GX-10
    Sony DSLR-A100
    I don't know about the Olympus, Samsung or Sony. Never did read up on their specs. I think if your choice is between Nikon D40X and EOS400D, I would advise you to go for the 400D. It's a better pick.

But to be sure, you need to go down to the shop (or Sitex) and hold the camera and know what it feels like to be in your hand. I've tried holding D40x before when I was testing out my 55-200mm VR lens. The camera feels like a toy. I think if you put a heavier lens like the 105mm macro VR, it'll be lop sided. Lens is too heavy for camera. And there are a lot of lens with that kind of weight that does not come with a tripod mount on the lens. To me, it's just not stable enough. Go try out all the models you have in the list before making the choice.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wait for Canon 450D which is rumored to reach our shore in Jan 08 .

Not suggesting you to chase after new models as it is a no-end exercise, but in view the date is drawing near and the fact that the world is raving on how good the new 40D as compared with 30D, and ironically, the prices almost the same

Definitely, 450D will have some enhanced features same as 40D, and the price will not be far from 400D.

Alternatively, go to snapclub and try your luck in getting a 2nd hand 400D because most of them will be upgrading to 450D.
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    At this moment, I'm bending toward Canon EOS400D. I like the "Integrated Cleaning System" though not sure whether it is really work. Furthermore Nikon D40X has higher noise at high ISO and less lens compatibility (something to do with lack of a focus motor in the body?).

Interestingly, DPreview compare EOS400D with D80, probably because D40X not available at that time.

The more I read the more I confuse
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape View Post
    Wait for Canon 450D which is rumored to reach our shore in Jan 08 .
    Hmm.. that new consideration, hopefully it will cause 400D cost drop

Quote Originally Posted by zenscape View Post
    Alternatively, go to snapclub and try your luck in getting a 2nd hand 400D because most of them will be upgrading to 450D.
    I was told by my colleague who are part time photographer to not to get 2nd hand camera, you never know what it has been trough.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Can I ask a few questions for the Nikon users?

Auto focus only works on D40x when using AF-S and AF-I lenses, right? For macro photography, I remember there there is only one AF-S close up lens from Nikon.

So manual focussing would be needed for other close up lenses. Do you guys actually use manual/auto focussing when using close up lenses for macro photography?

Can someone also provide pointers on why someone should be getting D40x instead of D40?

As far as I understand, D40x is of higher resolution (10 megapixels) compared to D40 (6 megapixels). However, if I do not print beyond 4x6, then the extra megapixels won't matter. 6 megapixels will suffice, right?

I also heard that D40x would fetch a higher resale price should someone wants to sell and upgrade in the future. Any other convincing points?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bro are you planning to get D40X?
    -Robert

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast