Country
    Singapore

Base substrate

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I am using Bio Gravel, (brown color) as substrate.

From the label stated it can be used as base substarte.

It also mentioned that the irregular surface and hollowness provide a good condition to retain air and nutrition.

Is this means that this Bio Gravel contain no nutrition? And it should add in base fert?

Meantime, I have not success to gowth the plant with this substrate.

kzi

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kzi View Post
    Hi all,

I am using Bio Gravel, (brown color) as substrate.

From the label stated it can be used as base substarte.

It also mentioned that the irregular surface and hollowness provide a good condition to retain air and nutrition.

Is this means that this Bio Gravel contain no nutrition? And it should add in base fert?

Meantime, I have not success to gowth the plant with this substrate.

kzi
    I am not sure what bio gravel is, but what is the size of each grain of gravel? Have you heard of lapis sand? They basically have no nutrients in them as well but many bros out here still manage to grow plants with it. Growing plants does not only depend on your substrate but other elements as well, such as lighting, c02, etc. If you want to add some base fertilizer but the bio gravel is already in your tank, you might want to consider root monster which basically provides for your plants as well, just more hassle free. One other method is to does liquid fertilizer.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, what plant are you trying to grow in it? I had similar experience when i first started planted tank. Invested in a set of liquid fertiliser. However, dosing of liquid fert will requires some knowledge and reading up. If your tank is still in a very early stage..I've ever tried draining water into pails, removed the plants, removed 75% of substrate, lay the base fert, top up the substrate and cycle the tank before readding plants. Kinda works for me too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I suppose you have already set up your tank. If you do not want to start all ove again, you could try those substrate inserts from JBL, Ferka, Tetra or some of the Taiwan brands, or try out the new Wondergro root tabs from UKLau / Medicineman. Just insert these tablets/capsules/sticks/balls into the substrate where you intend to or already have plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there,

I had started over and over again to find out where went wrong.

Now, I suspected the base fert. I just curious those lapis sand that have no nutrition but able to grow plant (stem plant with root).

If the substrate is not the issue, I may look into some other area like liquid fert.

kzi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bro i also add substrate to my soil... because kia su ....
    Regards

Melvin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a few red lotus in my new setup with 2nd hand GEX soil. They kind of became 'holely' & melt after about 2 weeks. Not knowing what to do, I inserted some root monsters into the soil in desperation. Within a few days, new stems grew and now they are all super healthy, leaves are thick and dark red in colour.