Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Different Gouramis- which one?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Sigh. This is what happens when I can't find fish stores that sell the fish I want! I go looking for other species that I know they don't stock!
    Actually, I have come across a place that can/will special order them for me- so know I have to decide which ones I want to get! And no... I can't get another tank, mom's already knocked that one down.

The species I am looking into are these:
    German blue ram - Papilochromis ramirezi (approx. 3")
    Pearl Gourami - Trichogaster leeri (approx. 4")
    Sparkling/Croaking Gourami - Trichopsis pumilus (approx. 1.5")
    Licorice Gourami - Parosphromenus tweediel (approx. 1.5")

I'm looking at color- would prefer it to have yellow and blue in them, but not necessary... A peaceful temperment is key for me, as I stress out when my fish are fighting! And I don't want them to eat my cardinal tetras.

They will be in a 30gal planted tank with driftwood, along with 5 yellow snakeskin guppies (surviving babies will be moved), 5 julii corydoras, about 8 cardinal tetras (possibly more), two otos, and maybe some cherry shrimp.
    Water change about 30% every week, sometimes two times a week.

water parameters:
    pH stays about neutral, sometimes a bit above but never to 7.5
    Ammonia= 0, Nitrite= 0, Nitrate= less than 20.
    not exactly sure on gh or kh, but I know that they are in the Cardinal tetras' suggested range.

I know that the german blue ram isn't a gourami, I've just always loved these guys but have heard that they can be territorial, and I am still debating them... Does someone want to talk me out of them? I'm worried that the Pearl Gouramis would be too big- I would try to get a pair of them, or just one male. Licorice gouramis- I am new to them, so I don't know how well they will fare, but they are so beautiful! Croaking gouramis sound pretty neat, and they are smaller... maybe too small that they would get lost with the guppies. Anyway... I'm continuously researching these guys, but there's not alot of info on the croaking and licorice gouramis, and some of the info is controdictory.
    What do you guys suggest? would the rams be too agressive? looking for the tank to be on the peaceful side, not fish being chased away continuously at the drop of a hat. I know that if they breed they will get more aggressive. Am I going about this wrong? Perhaps I should just get a male, that way there would not be any breeding aggression... (if you haven't noticed already, I'm not looking to breed these guys, but if they do, I'll greatly accept it!) Any comments/suggestions?
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, your bioload for your tank is the more worrying factor.
    Henry aka joopsg
    Current tank: 1 4 tier 3ft fish rack
    Livestock: WC Ivanacara Adoketa, WC Apistogramma Kelleri 'Red Cheeks', A , WC Apistogramma Mendezi, WC Apistogramma Cruziero, WC Apistogramma Elizabethae and WC Biotoecus Operularis.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Sparkling/Croaking Gourami would be the best bet for you. Licorice gourami are too fragile and the other two are too territorial for your setup.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Ah, yes. I had thought about the bioload. Hmm... will have to reconsider the guppies as I know my family will want to keep the cardinal tetras. I had a feeling that the licorice gourami wouldn't be good- I've never heard anything about them and don't know anyone who has had any experience or any knowledge for that matter about them.
    Anyway, thanks- I'm still researching!
    Breeding golden snakeskin guppies