Images
    Country
    Malaysia

luenny's zoo excursion!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As promise, these are some of my lousy shots from the zoo. And these are the better ones too. I have not much problems with the Rhinos. But the orangutans have the problem of the sky being too bright or the subject being too dark.

Orangutans

Rhinos

Finally found a way to link it back to flickr like what they wanted.
    Last edited by luenny; 22nd Nov 2007 at 10:56.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    errr.. cant see anything leh..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    one of the reasons to darker subject for the first 2 photo, is due to the metering, notice especially when there are hotspots.

IMO, you can increase the brightness of the photo manually, not using the Auto options or you can first reduce the highlights in the photo then adjust the brightness/contrast. I prefer the latter. But there is other method, first reduce the highlights, increase the shadow then do final adjustment, if not done correctly the photo will look unnatural.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Light metering....and did you shoot with hood?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Simon,
    You lost me there. How do I reduce highlight? Photoshop?

Ranma,
    Didn't use hood. Is there a glare problem?
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Nope no glare... but if it was soooo sunny...it might have helped a little.
    And yeah.. i think simon is talking about PS.. but also a bit about manual adjustment.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Besides that any other comments? How's the compo?
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Luenny

1st pix - I prefer alittle more space
    2nd pix - too much space on the left that doesn't contribute to the pix, should be crop with the subject on the left, leaving space toward the area it is supposed to swing to
    3rd pix - nicer than the first 2, do you have other shots with more of the other rhino?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny View Post

Did you use fill flash for these pictures? SB800?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Luenny

1st pix - I prefer alittle more space
    2nd pix - too much space on the left that doesn't contribute to the pix, should be crop with the subject on the left, leaving space toward the area it is supposed to swing to
    3rd pix - nicer than the first 2, do you have other shots with more of the other rhino?
    Hi Simon,
    Yes, I have some other Rhino shots but not so nice or more or less the same. They are much bigger and slower so much easier to take. Plus they don't climb up trees so they don't have the sky behind to light them up. Anyway, I didn't shoot much rhino because my daugthers wants to go see polar bear feeding.

Care to elaborate on your comment on the 1st pix? A little more space towards which side?

Pix 2, noted. I was hoping the tree branch would form leading lines to the subject. Furthermore they were at an angle. But I guess it didn't work out huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo View Post
    Did you use fill flash for these pictures? SB800?
    Hi Billy,
    No, no fill flash. They are way too far, I doubt the flash will reach. Anyway, I don't want to flash them and cause them to fall on to the floor also. I guess that's why the subjects are a bit on the darker side. Well, still learning.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 26th Nov 2007 at 12:38.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Billy,
    No, no fill flash. They are way too far, I doubt the flash will reach. Anyway, I don't want to flash them and cause them to fall on to the floor also. I guess that's why the subjects are a bit on the darker side. Well, still learning.
    Too far? Ask Melvin about it.... He shoot birds (I know it sounds wierd) with fill flash... how can your monkeys be further away than the birds? I believe it does explain why your picture are unable to meter correctly.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not advisable to use a flash extender in this case, most likely you have to compensate and shoot above the camera's setting. perhaps, next time, you should preview the shots with the histogram to check the exposure

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Luenny, I really like the contrast and colour in your shots!

Shot one is pretty cool, I would try to use a suitable longer lens and move back to get softer bigger bokeh highlights. The large white ones are pretty distracting. The position of the bg is pretty important and good to try to move a bit to get the a few.

The second shot is a miss because the lighting did not give focus to the orangutan despite the nicely composed shot. It's perhaps too wide for my taste.

The third shot is very nicely focussed and lighting is good as it shows the texture of the rhino. I would take down the DOF so that the bg is more outfo[out of focus].
    Would have been stunning if the bg is darker/almost black.

Anyway my comments are just what could have been and is not necessarily possible to achieve at that point in time.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Luenny,
    I liked the 1st picture, pity it's a bit too dark, no thanks to the bright background.
    Anyway what metering did you use? I was reading about spot metering and was thinking, could spot metering help in this situation?
    Or you could play tarzan and swing closer to the subject and get a better shot.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    not advisable to use a flash extender in this case, most likely you have to compensate and shoot above the camera's setting. perhaps, next time, you should preview the shots with the histogram to check the exposure
    Using flash extender and compensating is not a problem (if I can get a flash extender in the first place). Anybody knows where to get one? The bigger problem is, how will the flash affect the orangutans? I don't want orangutans jumping all over attacking me because of the flash. Seriously, I've read stories that pro photographers say they try taking chimp with flash and the chimp look at them like (next time you flash, your head or something is gonna come off).

Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Luenny, I really like the contrast and colour in your shots!

Shot one is pretty cool, I would try to use a suitable longer lens and move back to get softer bigger bokeh highlights. The large white ones are pretty distracting. The position of the bg is pretty important and good to try to move a bit to get the a few.

The second shot is a miss because the lighting did not give focus to the orangutan despite the nicely composed shot. It's perhaps too wide for my taste.

The third shot is very nicely focussed and lighting is good as it shows the texture of the rhino. I would take down the DOF so that the bg is more outfo[out of focus].
    Would have been stunning if the bg is darker/almost black.

Anyway my comments are just what could have been and is not necessarily possible to achieve at that point in time.
    I agree, shot 1 bg is too bright. Darn these enclosure, you can only view from 1 or 2 sides.

Second shot, yeah, not very good eh? I was hoping to show some of the action going around - since I don't see much of that in zoo shots.

3rd one, yeah the DOF thing. I'm using the newly bought 55-200mm f4/5.6 lens. At 200 mm, the biggest ap I can go is 5.6. Darn!

Quote Originally Posted by trident View Post
    Luenny,
    I liked the 1st picture, pity it's a bit too dark, no thanks to the bright background.
    Anyway what metering did you use? I was reading about spot metering and was thinking, could spot metering help in this situation?
    Or you could play tarzan and swing closer to the subject and get a better shot.
    Yeah, I've got brighter ones too - using over exposure compensation. But they don't look too nice so didn't post here. The brighter ones, the orangutan is nicely lighted but the background is even more bright. Darn!

I doubt spot metering could help in this case. I did try spot metering (although I can't remember which metering I use for this shot, you can check the exif info). The problem is the background light is shining from behind the orangutan to the camera. So you either get the background right or the orangutan right. Or you use flash to fill in for the orangutan. I guess I should have tried the flash for this one since he's just seating there and not swinging about. At least if he gets up I know he doesn't like it. Darn! Opportunity missed again.

Well try and try again.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 26th Nov 2007 at 12:37.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't want orangutans jumping all over attacking me because of the flash. Seriously, I've read stories that pro photographers say they try taking chimp with flash and the chimp look at them like (next time you flash, your head or something is gonna come off).
    Just get ready to run, incase that happen

My guess is they probably get use to flash already. Everyday seeing people taking photo, I'm sure some of them using flash.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Luenny,
    Funny thing, my office monitor (Viewsonic LCD) shows the pictures much brighter, can see most of the detail.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yes, different monitors are calibrated differently so it may not show the same thing. That's a big problem with online photos.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well, if the sun (light) is not working your way, sometimes it's hard to take good pictures.
    I like the rhino pics, it's really nice...

I also like pic 1, esp the composition. Prob need to get either the metering right or for the light to fall at the right place.

I use histograms in times like this, where the sun is too bright for me to view with the LCD.

My 2 cents worth...
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Jeffrey, just wondering, how do you use histogram?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast