Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

hmm break down info needed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Not sure where this belongs, so it's here. Might have to move tank soon, 55 gal heavy planted mostly small fish tank.

The issue and question I have is what the best way to move tank and water?

More to this than I have time to explain but I'm a drywaller in B.C. canada and have a LARGE amount of 5 gal buckets at my disposal. I want to keep as much of the original water as possible. I am worried about what is in the mud that comes in the buckets and how or if it might hurt or affect my fish, shrimp, and other friends. I've used a few buckets for water changes with no issues, after hot water scrub. Normally i use smaller buckets from a local store that are clean (never used, which brings up another question if water can pick up trace ellements from the plastic they use) but cant get lids for.

If i need to do a quick move i would like to use larger pails, hence the question, getting late, hope to hear a response very soon.
    Last edited by benny; 25th Nov 2007 at 17:05. Reason: formating

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For a start, how are you going to move you tank from place A to B? Keeping the water in buckets are fine if you are just moving it from one location in the house to another location. If it's anything further, it's going to be hell.

Secondly, the mud in the pails from your work. Are they chemically inert after they cure?

Water can pick up properties from other element when in contact with in. If pH neutral freshwater run though limestone for an extended period, you can be assured that the final chemical properties of the water will be different from the source.

Help us to help you.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

moving, need advice.

hello all, been awhile since i was last on here. back to my question, and thank you benny for the post, has got me thinking, what would be the best way to move tanks about four hours from home. i also have a new addition to the house. a 38 gal tall (sweet). both have cannister filters, the 38 is barely set up with bacteria, so need as much of the original water as i can keep or how much can i get away with keeping without crashing the tanks. the other question is how should i transport the fish, in bags in a bucket or just in the bucket with a heater (i have a 110volt plug in the bed of my truck). should they be seperated or will they be fine all together. also, should i leave the substrate in the tanks if i can get enough guys to help move them or will that put to much stress on them. hhhmm i thats all i can think of for now, anyhelp would be great. thanks

Cam.