Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: sexing livebearers

Feedback Score

sexing livebearers

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    have recently dived into the wonderful world of fishkeeping and i have a boring question to ask - where can i see pictures of male and female guppies, mollies, platies etc. as i am having some trouble sexing the fish i have.
    its probably very simple but i think i have all males when i shouldn't have []
    i just need to see the differences - people keep telling me but i'd still appreciate the visual proof.
    thank you
    lis

Feedback Score

sexing livebearers

have recently dived into the wonderful world of fishkeeping and i have a boring question to ask - where can i see pictures of male and female guppies, mollies, platies etc. as i am having some trouble sexing the fish i have.
    i just need to see the differences - people keep telling me but i'd still appreciate the visual proof.
    thank you
    lis

Feedback Score

sexing livebearers

thank you
    lis

Feedback Score

sexing livebearers

thank you
    lis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote from FAQ on Breeding Livebearers

Q: How can I tell the male from the female?

A: The nice thing about livebearers is that males have a "sex organ" called the gonopodium. It's a specialized fin protruding from the underside of the fish, and if you look closely, males can direct the gonopodium towards the female in the act of courtship. The gonopodium serves as a tube that transmits the sperm into the female. In the female, this ventral fin is fan-shaped.

Male Guppies are smaller, more colorful, and the fancy ones have extended fins compared to the female. Male Swordtails have longer swords, some females don't have swords at all. Male Mollies and Platys are smaller and slimmer than the females.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    male livebearers have their anal fin shaped like a thin pointed thing. female's anal fin are the normal triangular shape.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well if you really have to know, they're just like people [:0]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/12/2002 10:43:48 AM

male livebearers have their anal fin shaped like a thin pointed thing. female's anal fin are the normal triangular shape.
    ----------------
    The long pointed thing is called gonopodium. That's the anal fin modified to be used for inserting the sperms into the female fish. No prizes for guessing how it's done.... Hehe
    [] []

One more detail.... In the animal world,, mainly it's the males that are brightly coloured and patterned to attract females... So watch for the brighter colours and patterns too...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    well if you really have to know, they're just like people [:0]
    ----------------
    HWChoy ... naughty naughty ...