Singapore

Moss looks burnt!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

What causes moss to looks burnt?
    My tanks only have some Xmas and flame moss....most of the flame moss looks burnt (left the stem brown in color)

even the moss ball, also looks burnt, but when I turn it over, the bottom side looks very fresh...

What happening har?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have a similar problem when i revamp my tank previously. i have no idea what happen. would greatly appreciate if someone could enlighten us

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    could it be the temperature?
    Last edited by ranmasatome; 1st Dec 2007 at 18:41. Reason: spelling
    Regards

Melvin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BuTLeR View Post
    could it be the temperature?
    mine just went totally black ....suspect its the temperature too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, the tips of the moss in my office tank showed burnt marks after the air conditioning was shut off during the hari raya/christmas break. I was rather tempted to trim the brown tips but didn't do it due to laziness.

It has been 2 weeks and the moss is still growing (thankfully), however, there is a brown segment in my moss. I am wondering whether the moss will actually recover from these burnt marks? Or do I need to trim it to get rid of the burnt marks?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    am experiencing the same thing too i guess it is because of lack of sunlight and temperature. Sometimes moss on a driftwood and i accidentally push into the substrate the bottom part which is sunken in will become brown..a.k.a dead....and smelly also

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys

Personally I encounter this. I got some healthy moss from a forumer. Due to my work commitments, didnt really have a chance to plant them. By the time I plant them into my tank, 90% of them turn brown or almost black. I didnt give up and I dose some ADA green gain then leave them alone for a week or 2. Now, it seems that some green is growing from the old brown or black moss. Seems good. I guess I wait for another 2 weeks to see the effect. I guess it is due to light, nutrients and water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by williamng View Post
    Guys

Personally I encounter this. I got some healthy moss from a forumer. Due to my work commitments, didnt really have a chance to plant them. By the time I plant them into my tank, 90% of them turn brown or almost black. I didnt give up and I dose some ADA green gain then leave them alone for a week or 2. Now, it seems that some green is growing from the old brown or black moss. Seems good. I guess I wait for another 2 weeks to see the effect. I guess it is due to light, nutrients and water.

hi , check with you, i have tied the xmas moss that i got in the metal mesh already (last night),. but i need to re set up my tank again( need to remove my sand and laid the magic soil and laid back the sand, mistake made ) . thus it might take till coming sunday evening than i can laid these moss mesh in my 3 ft tank. mean time , if i leave my moss tied with moss, stack up in a pile of water,can it last till sunday or it will turn borwn or die?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, i'm experiencing the same problem as you guys. The spiky moss i tied to my wood turned brown after sometime. The strange thing is, the moss is actually growing as i can see white tips growing off those patches that are still green. Before trying on spiky moss, i used riccia and i had the same problem too. I wonder do moss actually need low temperature for good growth. Or will they actually grow slowly and cover over those brown marks after sometime? Please help if anyone out there knows.
    Zack

Planted tank: Melanotaenia Lacustris, Melanotaenia Parkinsoni, Melanotaenia Praecox,
    Glossolepis Incisus, Melanotaenia Maccullochi, Melanotaenia Boesemani, Iriatherina Werneri, Barilius Canarensis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can moss like christmas/flame/weeping moss take 30 degrees Celsius? im planning to tie to driftwood, if they die it will be extremely hard to remove them.. cos the driftwood is stuck in the sand and removing it will ruin my scape..

im not using chiller, and i've removed the fan(sick of it) as water evaporation is simply too high..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My personal experience is that when I transported Weeping and Flame moss from a chilled tank to a fan cooling tank, the outcome of these two moss is not so good after sometime.
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi to all, some tips to growing mosses. But first, pls check that there are no foul smell coming from the tank, if there is then u may have to throw away the moss.

Mosses have got a tipical smell and they should smell that way when they are healthy even if it's brown. Extreme condition when mosses become transparent or brown to blacken, then it may be the water lacking of a certain nutrient.

Mosses like phosphorus just like ferns. In Singapore, due to hot climate, mosses will still grow but not to optimum. A chiller set at 25 degrees will be perfect for mosses. But dont be discourage if you dont have a chiller coz like I said they will still grow. It does not need CO2 as well but if given, the moss will grow fast.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    chris,
    you may be right, i may not have the best parameters for growing moss and have observed this typical smell when they are healthy. I could have mistook it for "rotten egg" scent similar to that of BGA.