Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bought my new tank basic setup stuff....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    There isn't any need to feel paiseh on the state of your tank bro. A forum is sort of like a tutorial class, most of us usually have the same questions in mind. Feel free to snap a picture so as we can help you along on rectifying the problem. This way, when we face the same algae in future, we'll all learn how to handle it together.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks bro.. alright.. here goes..

this is how bad my aquarium is
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 25th Mar 2008 at 18:49. Reason: sms lingo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    that is really bad..
    but still save-able...

can try rosy barb, small normal pleco, yamato..
    they will finished for you in no time..
    I will suggest you remove other non algea eating fish for the time being and stop feeding the fishes, then when hungry, the algea eating fish will whack the hell of it..
    anyway, maybe you should manually remove those that are too long and leave the shorter ones for the fishes to eat..

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is really really bad... I will like to suggest a total restart of the tank. May want to put the faunas into another temporary tank first. Then..start from scrap. Seriously, you will want to do that as you'll feel happier that way instead of waiting and looking everyday to see if the situation improves or your remedy(s) work. To clear up this will take too much time and impractical as the end result (after ridding the algae) will not look good too.

This is just my opinion, but if you really wish to salvage the tank, try posting this problem especially the pictures at the algae section. No pun intended but this is a real good case study..lots to learn..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Hi guys,
    Are those BBA algae?
    What do you think that cause outbreak like that? to much light ?
    in my driftwood I see something a little bit like that, and would like to prevent for same thing happening in my aqua.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you should read more about algae issue and try to deal with it and keep your tank going. Plenty of advise and personal experience round the globe. Take it like a experience gaining curve. No pain no gain. Later when alls ok, you can sit down and really appreciate your hardwork. Futhermore if you restart, your substrate be mess up, all your plant,efforts and time wasted , your fancy bacterial water(to me is long kang(drain) water in fancy bottle , no bad feeling intended) go back to the long kang and the most funny thing after you setup the new tank is "new algae".

Past reading, helps, some points to try, here goes
    1) do not add anymore fert.
    2) reduce light ups time or temporary blackout. C02 - pending other expert advise.
    3) from me only, can keep your fish to keep the bio load going but very very low feed. They be your gineae pig.
    4) add in many amanos (this guy i read, add 100pcs) they are great algae eater and more hardy for starter. But dont pamper them, or they will make sure your fishes starve.
    5) more 15/20% water changes to remove excess nutrients? Must consult the expert.

Just my 2 cents
    Many kae pos(busy body) like me and real expert around to help
    Cheers
    DT

GOD do not made you a GOOD man, it is what GOOD you did that made GOD looks GOOD.
    Hey, GOD and GOOD is just an "O" apart.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This tank would take quite a bit of work to get going again. You cannot do it with algae eating critters and expect them to do wonders. I'll suggest you remove all the plants and only return those uninfected ones plus scrub the tank and equipment clean. Add loads of new plants in if the plant biomass drop way too low. Read up on dropchecker method for CO2 measurement and add enough nutrients for the plants to do well. Consider lowering the intensity of the lights by to slow growth down so you will have an easier time. Service the filter frequently say every month to keep good amount of current going in the tank. Do more water changes say 2x50% each week for 2-4 weeks during the startup phase for ADA substrates and etc since they have quite a bit of NH4.

You have Staghorn and BBA from the look of things and you haven't done anything about it for it to turn so bad.

Read up more......but make sure you read the correct stuff.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with what Peter said.

Remove the affected plants and trim them put in only the unaffected part of the plant back into the tank. Do a major clean up.

I can offer a few fast growing plants like hygrophia difformis (water wisteria), Elodea Densa (Anarcharis) and Milfoil for you to put in your to "outgrow" the algea since trimming time is round the corner for me tank. PM me if you need cause I usually throw them away.
    WaterH2O
    <Fish are Friends, not food>

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    guys, from my bottom of my heart.. i thank you guys for your valuable advise. my wife and i decided we will restart the tank. I'm going to get a very small tank to put my fishes and otos over.. while i cleaned up the tank and the filter.. it really saddened me to see the state of the aquarium now.. i nvr put in any ferts hence dun think is the ferts that causes the outbreak. lighthing wise, I turn on around 9 hours a day..mostly from evening to night time the lighting turns on. i really looked forward this weekend so that i can plan to restart my aquarium again... Hi waterh20, thanks for your offer, but i m thinking to clean up the tank first before re-planting again.. perhaps i can look for you in 2 weeks time or so? any1 going to aquarium shop this weekend? perhaps we can meet up? pm me yeah?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Edwin.. are you restarting your substrate as well????
    Last edited by ranmasatome; 26th Mar 2008 at 11:38.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sure not a problem like know when you need or they ends up in the bin.
    WaterH2O
    <Fish are Friends, not food>

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    Edwin.. are you restarting your substrate as well????
    yes.. i'm cleaning the aquarium.. "squeaky clean"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    [quote=edwinloh;319526]guys, from my bottom of my heart.. i thank you guys for your valuable advise. my wife and i decided we will restart the tank. I'm going to get a very small tank to put my fishes and otos over.. while i cleaned up the tank and the filter.. it really saddened me to see the state of the aquarium now.. i nvr put in any ferts hence dun think is the ferts that causes the outbreak. lighthing wise, I turn on around 9 hours a day..mostly from evening to night time the lighting turns on. i really looked forward this weekend so that i can plan to restart my aquarium again... quote]

Hey Edwin,

It can also be the lack of fertiliser that is limiting the growth of your plants and allowing the algae to grow. Fertilise you tank when you restart it with med-high light and CO2 at about 30ppm. Algae will grow if one of these fert, light and CO2 is not in balance. Good luck to you on your next try.

Ronnie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I went through that stage and am going through another green water boom. Did not redo my tank because I want to learn it the hard way. Itchy hearted and hand but determinations really tough to sustain.

Did many wc,different fert regimes, different level of CO2 injection to come to this stage. Now green water is slowly clearing and hopefull none will come again.

Patience is really a virture here.

Good luck edwin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks ronnie, thanks alechim.. i'll be more careful and look for proper fert.. is my mistake i didn't pay more attention to the tank.. next time,, i'll make sure i scrutinise my tank on daily basis.. any sign of bba or green stuff.. i'll buzz u guys for help! thanks man..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    edwin if time is a factor, its better to be going low tech instead of the high maintenance way suggested by ronnie... both ways work...one just takes more effort

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry for the late reply, i didnt know the magnitube of the problem, probably the worst i ;ve seen so far. I've search through the threads, have you posted your daily/weekly regime ?

Blade,
    yamotos or any cleaning crew not going to help but add more "inbalances" to his tank. Until he practically list down what he has done from day 1 of setup, we would be searching for solutions like needles in a hay stack.

Edwin,
    For now, would appreciate if you follow closely to some guidelines provided by Peter and update us how well it is progressing. I dont mean to be a wet blanket, but your tank is going to need alot of work till its back on track.
    Last edited by torque6; 27th Mar 2008 at 00:40.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The main thing is have fun and learn from the process. Don't let this minor setback deter you. Looking forward to your new setup.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, i didnt know the magnitube of the problem, probably the worst i ;ve seen so far. I've search through the threads, have you posted your daily/weekly regime ?

Blade,
    yamotos or any cleaning crew not going to help but add more &quot;inbalances&quot; to his tank. Until he practically list down what he has done from day 1 of setup, we would be searching for solutions like needles in a hay stack.

Edwin,
    For now, would appreciate if you follow closely to some guidelines provided by Peter and update us how well it is progressing. I dont mean to be a wet blanket, but your tank is going to need alot of work till its back on track.
    hi torque.. understood.. this week.. is cleaning up the tank.. then next week i'll try to setup everything new, from soil to the medium for the filter. I've learned my lesson and will definitely follow things more closely.. thanks for you guys advise..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    created a new thread

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=39374

Please visit the new one as i would like to wipe out this painful memory away...

thanks to all the brothers advises so far..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast