Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY cooling system - Anyone willing to experiment?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    A new Korean made window unit aircon can get for arnd $400. If not you can actually get one 2nd hand for arnd $100 which I think may be good enuff if you're going in this direction.

Or you can actually slavage the parts and buid a chiller out of the old air con. One major problem would be the size. It's gonna be bulky, and noisy (but won't much of a diff from the tco chiller I have). But mind you that it will be more powerful than the chiller we are using as I think it's more than 0.5 hp (I could be wrong).
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    anakin, ya really, stainless is exactly that. It stains less- but still will. i think chrome would be the hardest but i've seen it rust over a yr or 2.

there are many grades of stainless steel made up of diff chemical properties,all graded by numbers(those engineering guys will be able to list them)- the best would cost a bomb.
    Unless can get off cuts from workshops...foc or scrap prices.

vinz- got 2 rubbermaid blue ice blocks yest. freezing them & trying by this weekend. Yest. used ice again in a hang on. for 220+ ltr of water(4ft)- it took a 3ltr block of ice(from ice cream tub)to drop temp by 1c in 20mins(from 28c to 27c). Temp stayed there a little over 1hr then back to 28c-(1xcooling fan was blowing).
    Starting tnk temp was 30c, using a single DC fan- temp 28c.
    The last time i chng water-i chilled 8gal of water in bucket with ice then pump into tank using small powerhead(took 30mins)& managed to drop temp to 25c-& took abt 2-3hrs to rise to 29c. with a fan it should slow it down more.

i read that this kind of rapid temp changes would affect fishes- well at my risk. but a trick i use is to feed while all this is experimental things going on. The buggers never notice the diff & its been a nearly 1.5 yrs with no deaths.

still experimenting & more to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    try peltier effect. see if you can hook up a large peltier cooler.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/17/2002 10:16:09 PM

try peltier effect. see if you can hook up a large peltier cooler.
    ----------------
    think the eido chiller is using peltier. seems not too effective leh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bawater, keep us updated. looking for some good chiller box and yes, you're right. SS comes in different grade - those they use for surgery are called 18/8 it has to do with the nickel and chrome proportion. asking my contractor friend to help me look for a 1 - 1.5m of SS tubes. just just bend them to fit the box and some serious chilling of ice pack - & let's hope this whole things will work!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123