Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY cooling system - Anyone willing to experiment?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

DIY cooling system - Anyone willing to experiment?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, been thinking and discussing this with vinz. I've just got a brainwave a few days ago on cooling down aquaria cheaply, but not sure if it'll work.[] My tank is not here yet [], so I can't put the idea into practice, but if anyone of you out there is willing to try this out, why not post your observation & share with all of us?

The idea is simple - just place your ext canister into a styrofoam box (or ice box) with some water. Next, freeze 1 or 2 bottles of water in the freezer. During the day or when the lights are switched on, just dump the ice bottle into the box to allow the ice to cool the water & the filter subsequently. In this way the temperature will cool down slowly, the filter will ensure that the cooled water will be distributed evenly throughout the tank.

Vinz (hope you dun mind me quoting you here) actually improve on the idea by thinking of placing wires (copper?) in the styro box to cool the water better. In this way, we can even cool down the filter's water more efficiently.

Pls feel free to comment on any area I may have overlooked, e.g. bacteria activity level, etc...- even better if anyone of you are willing to experiment with this idea.

I think this might work for bigger aquaria (>3ft) anything smaller may run the risk of over-cooling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, been thinking and discussing this with vinz. I've just got a brainwave a few days ago on cooling down aquaria cheaply, but not sure if it'll work.[] My tank is not here yet [], so I can't put the idea into practice, but if anyone of you out there is willing to try this out, why not post your observation & share with all of us?

The idea is simple - just place your ext canister into a styrofoam box (or ice box) with some water. Next, freeze 1 or 2 bottles of water in the freezer. During the day or when the lights are switched on, just dump the ice bottle into the box to allow the ice to cool the water & the filter subsequently. In this way the temperature will cool down slowly, the filter will ensure that the cooled water will be distributed evenly throughout the tank.

Vinz (hope you dun mind me quoting you here) actually improve on the idea by thinking of placing wires (copper?) in the styro box to cool the water better. In this way, we can even cool down the filter's water more efficiently.

Pls feel free to comment on any area I may have overlooked, e.g. bacteria activity level, etc...- even better if anyone of you are willing to experiment with this idea.

I think this might work for bigger aquaria (>3ft) anything smaller may run the risk of over-cooling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, I was thinking of metal tubing (copper is toxic to Marine (right?), but FW plants/fish?). Instead of putting the whole filter in, run the filter output into the tubing and the other end back to tank.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lack of temperature control is one major concern with the method mentioned....possible temperature swing as the bottles lose its coolness to the surroundings?? I think it will do more harm than good...but that's only my opinion..hope you guys don't mind. []

"Why is it that too low a temperature can be solved by just placing a rod (heater) in the tank whereas too high a temperature cannot be solved in the same way...Mmmmmmmm.. how I wonder when can this happen...special cooling rod..kekekekeke
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Think copper might be harmful to FW fishes too, any chemist can tell us, esp when most of us are keeping aquaria with acidic water condition? Are you thinking of (a)connecting the outlet tubing to a copper tubing before connecting it back to a plastic tubing or (b)passing the outlet rubber tube through the copper tubing? See awful diagrams below:

a)plastic tubing-->copper tubing--> plastic tubing

or

b) cool copper tubing
    -------------- plastic tubing --------->
    cool copper tubing

a)will definitely work, but we're all at a loss at how great the drop in temp might be.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There was another discussion on DIY chiller in the Marine forum.

I am toying with the idea of salvaging a compressor, cooling coils and a thermostat from an old fidge. I will have a bath of water with the cooling coil submerged in it and run another set of stainless steel($$?) pipes carrying the aquarium water through the bath.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter, totally agree with you on the cooling rod part - if this experiment work, then maybe we can add in a heating rod and ensure a constant temp [] [] (ha! dreaming on...)

Yes, temp swing is a BIG thing to consider here. No offense, just trashing out the idea thanks. keep the comments coming.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think have to experiment with an empty tank first.

Running the rubber hose thru the metal tubing is pointless. The rubber still insulates the water.

What's the alternative to copper?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there BC, ya, came across the thread before. But I'm not technically savvy, perhaps, when you're starting on the compressor-thermostat-cooling coil-bath thingy, can invite me over to see how it's done, dun mind helping you too. Anyway, you got your tank oredy?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, some styrofoam boxes leak thru the space between the styro beads. It's a slow leak, so you won't see the puddle of water till hours later. Had this happen to me with a fish shipping box I salvaged from LFS. So, anyone trying this, you need a seperate container inside.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anakin, I myself is not too sure of how to do it. I have a friend who knows. I will consult him probably in the weekend.

I have yet to buy the tank. Still scouting around.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz, hmmm, unless line it with a plastic bag (ugly!) or get that type of thick styro box - thinking of joining up 2 fishing boxes that you can find in NTUC or fishing shops for that purpose.

BC, keep me updated on the cooling unit? thanks want to learn more hehehe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you will like to read these links on all the DIY stuffs for aquarium.

DIY chiller

DIY chiller 2

DIY

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is what I did to my 2 1/2 ft planted tank:
    1)Insulate input tube of ext filter with foam n tape
    2)Cut styrofoam to fit ext filter(box it up)
    3)Buy a 8L cooler container, drill a hole on top, insert the extra long output tube into cooler container(coil around inside of container)
    4)Insulate output tube to tank
    5)Fill container with water n put in 4 blue ice block(those found in ntuc picnic section)

Result:
    With 1 AC fan on 24hr, temp can drop from 27 to 26C

Disadvantage:
    Ice melt pretty fast, last less than a day. Got to change ice every day.

Over cooling will not happen! Temp swing? Just a matter of 1-2 degree so shouldn't be a problem. For any tank bigger than 3ft might not make any different at all. Please comments

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Turaco,

What temps can you get without the fan?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Should be 28-29. Never off my fan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, guys,

Don't mind me if I offer some opinions from past experiences with DIYing your own chiller.

The styrofoam box thing won't work. I've tried it before many years ago. I put my 2 eheim filters into a styrofoam box, cut holes on the lid for the eheim motor to stick out and tiny holes on the sides for the tubing. I packed the whole styrofoam box with ice and monitored the temperature in the tank. Guess what? Nothing happened. The digital thermometer I was using didn't even show half a degree drop in temperature. Using metal pipes won't work too. Although I haven't tried that before, I think it would be logical to assume the volume of water running through the pipes is too small to have an effect on the temperature of the tank.

The best way to cool a tank, if you ask me, is to use cooling fans. In some aspects, they are even better than chillers. A 4 inch square cooling fan can bring the temperature in your tank down by 2 degrees centigrade if you let it run non-stop. Using more than one fan won't make it any cooler so don't waste your money buying more.

In the afternoons, the sun shines on the back of my 4 feet tank for several hours a day. I stick a piece of styrofoam wrapped with aluminium foil to the back of the tank to reflect the heat away. The logic behind this is like when you are standing in front of a fire. If you have a sheet of foil in front of your face, you won't feel the heat as the foil will bounce it away.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A thought on the output of filter coiled in styrofoam pack wif ice: Is it worth all that ice just to get a 1c drop? hmmmmm

vinz:abt the idea of running the outlet thru a box or hang on filter filled with ice(total abt 4ltr of ice in chunky blocks),i tried & it drops temp by up to 3c within 40mins'the time it takes to melt all the ice'>(that is pretty fast...too fast for my liking but slow enough that the fishes dun show any signs)temp will stay there for almost 2hrs after the initial 40mins-without fans or anymore tinkering.
    After a yr & i still use ice as top up & i'm still figuring ways making it last longer.So far nothing has died cause of my curiosity wif temp.

peter: abt the cooling probes? there is such a thing- they are called ice probes & work just like a heater- stick it in tank & voila!. only problem is that its avail in the US & it cost almost SGD$400(not incl freight)for 2 probes to cool a 2ft. 1 probe = 1ft of tank. Suppose to be able to cool down to 26-27c or so.

The thing abt DIY is that it has to be cost effective
    To cool a 4ft it would cost the same as buying a chiller!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast