Country
    Singapore

Floss-like algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,
    Just started an iwagumi scape about 3 weeks ago in my 90x45x45 tank.. Plants are Glosso and vallesneria.. However, there's this floss-like algae growing all over my rocks and glosso.. I have not added any fishes yet, and Im just dosing 4pumps of Brighty lights every day.. Co2 is at 3-4bps and lighting at 39x4 T5HO.. what could be the problem? Help is much appreciated..

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hair algae!!! Glosso is not an easy plant to start a tank with. Hence, algae is capitalizing

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Probably get some Yamato to have a buffet there.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok thanks guys.. but what temp does yamato shirmp survive in? i rembember getting some in my previous tank.. they kept jumping all the way to the surface of the water and just 'play dead' back down to the substrate, until they died..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my yamato is doing well at 27-26. Using clip on fan. Anyway, glosso do well at low temps too. try invest in fan if u dont. it helps alot.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You'll need to go in hard and remove the infected plants and then plant only those uninfected ones back for the best results rather than depending on critters since this type of algae does well with good light and CO2 once induced. I'll suggest you drop the amount of light down to 39wx2 for easier CO2 and nutrient management.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hair algae, just get a nitrite snail or oto to take care of them, but do take note oto hardiness is much weaker than a snail.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    added 4 otos about 2 weeks ago, and 5 cherry shrimps about 1 week ago.. all doing well, and hair algae is gone!! there's an ant-like creature lcrawling around the substrate in my tank tho.. quite big, about 1 cm.. quite shocked when i saw it..