Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

vinegar eels

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    anyone culturing these? where do you get the apple cider from? I mean, getting it from gnc is expensive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

vinegar eels

anyone culturing these? where do you get the apple cider from? I mean, getting it from gnc is expensive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

vinegar eels

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

vinegar eels

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Chris, timebomb has some. You may want to check with him.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Chris, timebomb has some. You may want to check with him.
    ----------------

Yup, that's right. I have plenty of vinegar eels, about maybe 2 million, give or take a million

If you want some, bring your own vinegar solution and I will innoculate it for free. You can buy apple cider vinegar from the supermarkets at about $2.50 a bottle. Mix it with water (50% water, 50% vinegar) and all you need are some eels from an exisitng culture.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    loh, do u use them to feed yr fry?? how's the growth rate compared to other fry food?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    is there a particular brand of cider you use? I don't remember seeing any besides the grossly expensive gnc ones.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, vinegar eels are useful only when you have very small fry. Generally, the fry of the Killifish that I keep are large enough to eat baby brine shrimps at birth. I keep the vinegar eel culture as a standby, for the day when I get my hands on some very small killies. There are a few types of Killies which have fry that are so small that by the time you see them, they are already a week old.

As for nutritious value, I think baby brine shrimps are better. The good thing about vinegar eel culture though, is that it's a no-brainer. All it takes to get a culture going is an apple cider vinegar solution innoculated with some eels from an existing culture. There's no need for any maintenance work. A friend who lives in the USA told me that she left her vinegar eel culture in a cabinet and 10 years later, the eels were still there. Vinegar eels, unlike other creepy crawlies, have the ability to control their own population. They never crash.

But speaking of no-brainers, harvesting the eels is quite a different matter altogether. Someone came up with a very ingenious method of harvesting vinegar eels which are sometimes so small they will pass right through a coffee filter. The method involves using a long neck bottle. It's all over the internet if you want to know how. The thing I can tell you is that it works. I've tried it before.

I don't know where is GNC and I haven't heard of any local fish shop selling vinegar eels. The bottle of apple cider vinegar I used was bought from NTUC supermarket. The brand is Heinz.

By the way, if you have the stomach for it, you can also try taking some of the vinegar eels. Supposedly, they can be found in every bottle of apple juice. But don't worry if you drank a lot of apple juice lately. The eels won't do you any harm and are good for digestion. That's what they say anyway

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    loh, dun mind trying... so i just need apple cider vingear to get going? coz hatching brineshrimp is too troublesome for me.. looking for an alternative to feed my fry...