Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown' (25 -35 cm)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

BIG Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown' (25 -35 cm)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, anyone knows where to find c.wendtii brown that grows to about 25-35 cm tall? I'm having a hard time finding over all the LFS for past few months alreadly. The c.wendtii tropica I have not growing tall and not exactly I have in mind (prefer smoother leaves like normal wendtii). Attached is a sample I'm looking for.
    Last edited by o2bubble; 9th Mar 2008 at 15:15.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It doesn't really matter what sized C. wendtii sp. you get from the LFS. You can grow them to the size you want by providing a rich substrate and shading them.

When you plant them in your tank and shade them, they will grow taller. If exposed to brighter lights, they will open up and spread out if given enough space!
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry, I got some c.wendtii and under shade, they maintained only about 10 cm tall at most even on ADA Amazonia soil and much fert I believe these are small variety and I'm looking for this big and broad leaf variety of c.wendtii.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know which varient you are keeping, but from my experience: C.wendtii 'Brown' and 'Green' are among the tallest of the C. wendtii sp.

One other thing you can try is insert some root tabs for these plants. Growth can get massive.
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Most do grow big. Common ones are green and brown wendtii.

You need to wait for some time until the emmersed leaves shed, replaced by water foliage. Then some more waiting game before it takes a hold. On the process, it should not be disturbed or moved. Add substrate inserts as it grow bigger.

From emmersed crypt you buy at LFS to giant aquatic plant it may take from 4 to 8 months depending on the tank condition. If you can find some in giant aquatic form, it would take shorter time, but this kind is more prone to melting if mistreated (and they will grow small again after melting).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks medicine man. I'm trying to find the giant variety to shorten the growth process. I managed to find all these variety listing of c.wendtii below:

Cryptocoryne wendtii
    Cryptocoryne wendtii "Broad leaf"
    Cryptocoryne wendtii "Brown"
    Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green"
    Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green"/Tall form
    Cryptocoryne wendtii/Hybrid
    Cryptocoryne wendtii "Red"
    Cryptocoryne wendtii "Tropica"

Have you any experience with 'broad leaf', 'Hybrid' and 'Red' varieties and they distinct features from other c.wendtii varieties? Any photos in any chance you might have?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks. No need to reply my earlier questions already as I managed to find all the photos of the above varieties.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    huh... does anyone knows which LFS i can get the giant c.wendtii brown? Thanks..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    o2Bubble,

There is no giant variety, size depends on how you grow it. It is also no point buying giant size ones thinking that they will stay that way. Its leaves will melt anyway and the new ones will be adjusted and grow to what you give it.

To grow most crypts in tanks with big and healthy shiny leaves:
    1) Put it where the flow is.
    Most crypts comes from fast flowing streams and they like water flow. If you plant wendtii in a new tank at a spot with direct flow and another without, you will notice that those in the flow does not really melt away and eventually, grow faster.

2) Give it strong lights.
    Most of the time, you can get bullated leaves when it recieve enough lightings. For example, in <2ft height using MH or in same lighting, partially shaded. Other lighting combination is fine as long as lighting is intense. I get big, broad, brown, dark veined, long and compact growth under the above mentioned as well as very bullated, shorted growth when the plant is under a echindorus, in the same tank.

3) Pump it up with Fertilizers
    Most of the tanks I've seen have thin, leggy crypts. Apart from lighting, co2, fertilization is the key. Give them plenty of root fert or add sufficient N,P,K,Ca to the water column. Do not add Ca to tanks with eriocaulon though.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks lobra, i am getting some big ones from a bro here and will lower my mh to give more lights. At least i know for sure these are not the small ones i alreadly have.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro,

To create the bushy effect in your attached pics need time. A crypt by itself only have a few leaves. The bushy effect is created by the many sideshoots next to the parent plant. To achieve that, the crypts must be given sufficient space to adapt and grow in a new environment. Planting them closely may slow down the time you achieve the effect.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for all the advises, I will take note in my planting and hope I can show you guys the results soon! cheers!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all, just planted some big sized c.wendtii. Hope they will start growing soon! cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    this is my cryp wendity brown, comphare whith a pen. in right side is cryp usteriana leaf.
    thats leaf is damage so i trim it LOL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all, my wendtii are starting to grow big now

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    any recommendations for LFS to buy the different species of wenditii. if not plants farms ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought 'Brown' from Colourful Balestier today... they also have other species

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    I bought 'Brown' from Colourful Balestier today... they also have other species

This is how they look like before they start to grow tall and turn brown? I am looking for it too.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The photo is crypt wendtii green gecko not brown. I have got wendtii green gecko, mioya, brown and tropica in my tank. My brown has now grown to a height of 35 cm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by o2bubble View Post
    The photo is crypt wendtii green gecko not brown. I have got wendtii green gecko, mioya, brown and tropica in my tank. My brown has now grown to a height of 35 cm
    Can show pictures of your brown?? So I will not buy the wrong plant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast