Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Shooting in RAW or JPEG format?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    All my shots so far are in JPEG. Never really shoot raw until now. Didn't really know how to use it yet.
    Last edited by benny; 21st Dec 2007 at 23:48. Reason: Split thread
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Come loh...
    RAW is the way to go for its flexibility... but its huge.
    If not what for we need a 2gb,4gb and 8gb card for?? IF shoot in jpeg..think 1gb also enough...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I guess RAW gives you the ability to PP better cause JPEG introduces artifacts. But I still do not really know how to take advantage of this yet. Maybe when I go Penang, I shoot in RAW and come back I'll try to ask around how best to take advantage of it. Thanks.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah, RAW is the only way to go been RAWing since the start, it gives flexibility for more post processing

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hmm ... maybe Simon or Justin (if you're still in Singapore) can teach me how to convert and PP RAW correctly when I come back from Penang.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Luenny,
    The software that comes with the camera usually have a software to convert RAW. I might try RAW since I got the 20D, but my computer is too slow.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    Come loh...
    RAW is the way to go for its flexibility... but its huge.
    If not what for we need a 2gb,4gb and 8gb card for?? IF shoot in jpeg..think 1gb also enough...
    you used the 350D or the G6? The 350D still only 8mpix. Come to 40D you start to cry when shooting raw.
    9-10mb per pix!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trident View Post
    Luenny,
    The software that comes with the camera usually have a software to convert RAW. I might try RAW since I got the 20D, but my computer is too slow.
    Did you get the DPP when you got the camera from mervin?
    That will help you do the conversion from RAW to JPEG. And it is pretty fast.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vincent,
    Yes there is a software that comes with it for converting RAW files.
    It's called Digital Photo Professional 1.0. Haven't installed it yet.

Justin used the G6, forgot to bring CF card for the 350D. LOL
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by valice View Post
    you used the 350D or the G6? The 350D still only 8mpix. Come to 40D you start to cry when shooting raw.
    9-10mb per pix!!!
    i know.. thats why still haven't upgrade... my computer takes damn long to open raw file... sian...lol..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    harlo, DPP now ver 3 liao lah.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,
    Thanks for the info, but my camera 2nd hand mah.
    Just downloaded DPP ver3 from canon website.
    Last edited by trident; 20th Dec 2007 at 09:59.
    Richard

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Richard,
    For me, it's not just about converting RAW to JPEG. That I know how to do it a long time ago since I wrote my own JPEG codec.

You have to know that for JPEG, it is much easier because the camera does some sharpening and stuff for you. For RAW, all these have to be done yourself. If I were to use a tool to automatically do this, I might as well shoot in JPEG. So, the main problem I have is to figure out the workflow of doing this correctly. Like what do you do first after opening a RAW file. Curves? Levels? I know you should sharpen (if any) last. Maybe someone with experience in this can help.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Luenny,
    So many bros using RAW, I am sure there is much advantage using RAW as oppose to JPEG, yah I am hoping someone would one day show me how to use it correctly.
    Richard

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya me too.... still shooting in JPEG as well.. have not even shoot raw...

Frankly I don't even know the advantages of shooting RAW. Need to read up more
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    always shoot RAW.

RAW is uninterpreted data from the camera sensor. this means that the raw reading from each sensor site is recorded AS IS, with the shooting parameters such as WB, exposure etc all recorded as meta-data. during the conversion from RAW to JPEG or TIFF, these meta data are applied to the raw data value which then produces the final output.

give an example. the reading from a particular sensor site might be the binary value of 1000. but what does 1000 mean in actual colour term? well, we don't know because it depends on what the white balance setting is. if WB is florescent, 1000 might be converted to bluish white, while WB of daylight might result in a yellowish white.
    Last edited by benny; 21st Dec 2007 at 23:59.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you are using photoshop bridge, you can do it quicky and easily with a the "image processor" function or do it as a batch process. You really don't need to meddle with every single shot, but for those that need can be easily altered. And you can apply one setting for a selection of pics, e.g. WB. at the same time.
    Of couse, there are the "purist" type who believe any post-processing is akin to adulteration, then RAW is not for you.

Nowadays, prices of storage has come down quite a bit hasn't it?

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What I find good about RAW is that it gives you some insurance of the screw-ups you do when out shooting. Of course if you are shooting 500+ pictures for a wedding, then you would definitely want a one-shot one kill situation. Else 500 pictures of editting whether in RAW or JPEG is absolutely crazy!

What I like about RAW is more for colour correction like in the example Choy gave. When we shoot fishes, when we don't take note of the substrate colouration, the colour tint on picture is glaring. With RAW, it is easy to remove it, and not degrade the picture quality.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Shooting RAW is crazy. I shoot RAW+jpeg[small] for some jobs that require hi def like posters or any print work. One raw pic=15MB+ takes a minute to open sometimes. Hate this. Only other thing is RAW is good for is underexposed shots.

The jpg is for me to check for out of focus situation and immediate deletion. Have a big enough screen to preview is important. That's why I dream of the D300-lovely big sharp screen, takes care of low light noise etc. lol.

The jpg is also handy for culling process after loading into the computer. Saves a lot of time. By using the contact sheet 2 in 'batch', you can make contacts for selection/culling. [after putting the RAW files in another folder of course!]

Luenny-IME, if you use RAW, the 1st thing after the gamma adjustment/WB is you should crop then do the levels to get the whites white and the blacks black. Then everything else in between before you put your ©.

Using the record action for repetitious stuff ensures your productivity is increased many fold.

I have so many pictures filing them and backing them up is really no joke. At least 40GB in the short time since May07. I still delete pictures that I now see as of poorer quality.

For stuff to be put on the net I use only small jpg/fine settings. This file is 1936X1296 pixels. This is further converted to 1024 wide X ? for upload to flikr etc.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    RAW = film, JPEG = polaroid. take your pick

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Aiya, how can say like that. Tsk tsk!

jpg=mistress, RAW=wife. One can keep and one must treasure...[because take up more space!] muahaha
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast