Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Post your hardiest plant!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi! I looking for some hardy plants to keep because I still new to the hobby. I have nana, java fern in my tank after doing some reading. Some of the other plants I bought died, so I thought it would be good if everyone can post their hardiest plant on this thread, preferably with pictures, so beginners like me know what plants to buy at the LFS.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    java fern is actually quite hardy. maybe some java and spiky moss also will do. but why not you share your tank specs first. then maybe we can help you more.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, most moss are easy. Give those a try. Esp Java & Taiwan moss.

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hardy..hmmm...Riccia fluitans!

No co2, also propagate, with co2 propagate like crazy. When you think you have removed all from your tank. Leaves that got broken of get stuck in some part of the tank where its not visible and they start propagating from there again.... The growing never stops....

Back to your questions. You would like to tell us your tank specifications. Example, tank size? co2? gravel? basefert? dosing regime? lighting wattage? Without these information, there is not much we can help you with why your plants are dying.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i using taiwan moss, nana petite , java fern broad and Jap hairgrass.
    edited.

You may want to check out tropica.com to look at various requirements for keeping planted aquarium.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    duck week... nana, nana petite, jave moss all very hardy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The term "hardy" plant is very subjective. There are low light plants that are hardy and there are high light plants that are hardy too.

Ferns are generally very hardy for a low light plant, definitely hardier than nana and moss. My huge bunch of narrow leaf java fern has been sitting in a bucket with little light for maybe 5, 6 months already, yet it is still growing.

Elatine triandra has been the ultimate high light hardy plant for me. It has became a weed in my tank. Even though that I've bleached my entire tank with a full bottle of chlorine for 3 full days, a week later after I started planting again, elatine triandra started sprouting out of no where. Untill today even with constant weeding, it will somehow comes back. But that of course very subjective too, as my tank's condition is probably very favourable for it.

In my other setups, I have crypts (no idea what crypt it is, but definitely a very common one/ around 15~20cm tall, narrow green leaf with red on the under side of the leaf) and aponogeton ulvaceus and this setup has no CO2 and very lousy lighting, which I left it to my sister's care for 2 years with no water change or filter cleaning, just water top up when the water level gotten really low or whenever my sister remembers. But both plants are growing crazily even with virtually no care to it.

So what kind of setup are you looking for? As it definitely matters on what kind of hardy plants you would want to start out first.