Images
    Country
    Singapore

Adult Brine Shrimp vs Baby Brine Shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    "There is a myth floating around that adult artemia are not as good for your fish as newly hatched. There is a tiny bit of truth to this, but it depends on what you are feeding. So whats in it for your fish: Newly hatched artemia are high in fats, about 23% of dry weight. By mid juvenile stage, the fat levels have decreased to about 16 %, and by the time they are pre-adults the fat levels have decreased to about 7%. But, at the same time, the protein content has risen to replace the fat, from about 45% in a newly hatched artemia to about 63% in an adult. Based on this, you should determine what is best for your tank, young fish larvae require a high fat intake for growth and health, while older juveniles and adults need protein for health and reproduction. Also, nauplii are known to be deficient in several essential amino acids, while the adult artemia are rich in all essential amino acids. Adult artemia therefore supply more biomass than nauplii and are more nutritionally complete."

Quoted from http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~davidr/disc...s/artemia.html

I believe there are those who still believe that baby brine shrimp is more nutritious than the adult brine shrimps. This should put that myth to rest.

Food for thought, "A cow and a calf, which is more nutritious?"
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Great sharing, Avan. Thanks.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau