Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Erythromycin for Cynobacter

Feedback Score

Erythromycin for Cynobacter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Firstly I would like to apologise if the above spelling is wrong. But i would like to find out where I can get the above antibiotics to get rid of the cynobacter or commonly known as blue green algae. I known it's a controlled drug in S'pore and hence rather difficult to get them. Anyone knows any lobang? Greatly appreciate your time.

Rgds,
    Ivan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    check with a pharmacy.

else you can "blackout" your tank for 3-4 days. totally cover your tank to prevent any light leaking through and aerate your tank. dose sufficient nutrients and stop co2 injection. at the end of the blackout period, change water and dose sufficient nutrients.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your advise.

Warmest regards,
    Ivan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Bga

I was put onto a different method to beat BGA.It worked for me so I will share .

Sprinkle the BGA with potassium bicarbonate ( I also used MgSO4 )
    This helps to increase the Kh of the water.Then up the CO2.

It died off!!!.

I didnt change anything else.
    Maybe that will help you.

Good luck
    Graeme

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems that it is not recommended to use antibiotics to counter algae. While it may work the first time, it is possible that some will build up resistance. The same antibiotic may not work the next round. Or, you get rid of one type and another type takes over.

I guess its back to basics to get rid of algae.

I have algae in my tank as well. I'm following Diana Walstad's low-tech regime of using plants to counter algae growth. As my tank is only 4 months old, I have some way to go before achieving stability. Reading other forum member's posting has been very useful, e.g. redirecting water flow, adding another pump for increased water movement for planted tanks, etc.

After re-reading DW's book, my next plan is to increase the hardness. I'm cleaning the oyster grit to put it in the tank. Alternatively, I will try MgSO4 or CaC04 for faster increase in hardness.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi s1c1lee,

Seems like you are trying to bolster up GH. Seachem Equilibrium is a possible choice for a convenient means to do so?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sheesh.... work is really keeping me away from my hobby
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I was put onto a different method to beat BGA.It worked for me so I will share .

It died off!!!.

Good luck
    Graeme
    SO4 is Sulphate. CO3 is carbonate... So to increase KH using sodium bicarbonte sold in baking section of supermarket.

Also MgSO4 is Espom Sat use to likely to increase GH (affected mainly by Ca and Mg Ion), not KH
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ivankoh View Post
    Firstly I would like to apologise if the above spelling is wrong. But i would like to find out where I can get the above antibiotics to get rid of the cynobacter or commonly known as blue green algae. I known it's a controlled drug in S'pore and hence rather difficult to get them. Anyone knows any lobang? Greatly appreciate your time.

Rgds,
    Ivan
    Ivan

I have BGA in my tank.

Can I check if you manage to get the Erythromycin?
    If so, where and in what form?
    If you used it, was it effective?

I read in the site directed by one of the sticky that: " This antibiotic is sold under different brand names as fish medication."

Do you or any forumer know which brand of such fish medication is available in Singapore?

Many thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post

It died off!!!.

Good luck
    Graeme
    Graeme

The BGA is all over my tank. When you say "sprinkle the BGA", do you mean into the tank or specifically on the BGA. And how do you do so?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i dropped 3 tablet(400mg) of Erythromycin Ethylsuccinate (left over antibotics prescribed by doctor) over 3 days while attempting to manually removing them initially. On the 4th days onward BGA started to diminish. It has been a week+ now and they are totally gone.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lctiong View Post
    i dropped 3 tablet(400mg) of Erythromycin Ethylsuccinate (left over antibotics prescribed by doctor) over 3 days while attempting to manually removing them initially. On the 4th days onward BGA started to diminish. It has been a week+ now and they are totally gone.
    In my experience, when the BGA dies off after antibiotic treatment, they release a lot of N into the water column. So do water change and add fast growing plants. Or else next algae to appear could be BBA.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lctiong

Many thanks for the reply. How big is your tank?

I was thinking of going down to NA to get Interpet No. 9 but could not find the time. In the meantime, I blacktaped the bottom of the tank to cover the substrate (where much of the BGA was), did a major clean-up (removed the pebbles, cleaned the breeding caves, scraped the glass and cleaned the filter) and did a 20% WC. It has been quite BGA-free for about a week.

I did a second WC today (10%) and did minor cleaning, including the filter and am keeping my fingers crossed.

The next time I am in JB (don't go often at all), I will pop by a pharmacy and try to get some Erythromycin.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    juggler. thanks for the advice. i haven't been changing my water for a week but will start to do that to avoid other algae attack. Fisherw, my tank is 4 ft. I went to NA to look for solution to overcome BGA. The boss recommended me a bottle of liquid from ADA that cost $34(not sure if it is Interpet no.9 that you mentioned) and this was more expensive than seeing a GP. Hence I decided to try the Erythromycin tablet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    lctiong

Will go down to check. Hope it is not the Interpet. I would probably try Erythromycin as well if it is $34. Mine is a 2ft so will have the dosage. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by limsteel View Post
    SO4 is Sulphate. CO3 is carbonate... So to increase KH using sodium bicarbonte sold in baking section of supermarket.

Also MgSO4 is Espom Sat use to likely to increase GH (affected mainly by Ca and Mg Ion), not KH
    so i can just use baking soda to dose into the tank ?
    also, if the examples given are correct, i should be able to clear up the cynobacter ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    right now i am dosing the sodium bicarbonate, anyone knows what is the recommended kh level in a planted tank ?