Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Help! Green Terror being terrorized!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Help! Green Terror being terrorized!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Greetings.....I am new to this website.......I found it while searching for help regarding my son's "Green Terror" (fish) The poor thing has been struggling at the bottom of the tank for two days now.....and I don't know what to do to help it. Any suggestions? My son may have added some new water to the tank recently....and also put a bag full of feeder fish in there. Now the feeder fish are swimming around the "Terror" looking like they want to eat him......yikes!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    er... maybe you can help us further by sharing with us more details like what you mean by green terror, your tank specs like water parameters, filtration setup and stuff?

Cheers!
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    David,

Green Terror is the common name for Aequidens rivulatus, a very popular South American Cichlid. You can find it at most of the shops almost all of the time. There are even deformed 'balloon' variants these days.

Cheers,
    Last edited by benny; 30th Dec 2007 at 12:13.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    David,

Green Terror is the common name for Aequidens rivulatus, a very popular South American Cichlid. You can fnd it at most of the shops almost all of the time. There are even deformed 'balloon' variants these days.

Cheers,

oops benny. thanks for the sharing
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

dying green terror

The tank is a 55 gallon fresh water tank. There are two filters on it and the fish was doing very well in it for over two years now. I don't know how old it (the fish) is....but he is about 8 inches long. The poor thing is laying on the bottom of the tank right now....I hate to see him suffering. I worry that he is in pain.....he's just laying there and his gills are moving and once in awhile he flaps his fins.....it's terrible to watch....if I can't save him....can I put him out of his misery? How the heck does one go about humanely helping a fish to expire?!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    The tank is a 55 gallon fresh water tank. There are two filters on it and the fish was doing very well in it for over two years now. I don't know how old it (the fish) is....but he is about 8 inches long. The poor thing is laying on the bottom of the tank right now....I hate to see him suffering. I worry that he is in pain.....he's just laying there and his gills are moving and once in awhile he flaps his fins.....it's terrible to watch....if I can't save him....can I put him out of his misery? How the heck does one go about humanely helping a fish to expire?!
    Probably the fastest way is to punch a stainless steel nail through its brain, squash it, and pull out.This is a common method used by anglers to prevent the fish from the stress (stressed fish release some chemicals that would degrade the eating quality). The other method is "bleeding" it, but it will look even less humane .

But use it as a last resort please.

PS: You did not mentioned any symptoms your fish is having?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    The fish died last night.....the poor thing. Thanks for responding to my questions. Clearly you people are experts when it comes to Aquariums....and I am sorry if my emotions got the best of me with regard to the green terror rendering me silly. I actually said a prayer last night that the fish would pass away. I know I sound like a nut....but like I said....I just got a little more emotionally involved with the fish than some folks. Thank you again for your help.....and I wish you "fish people" all the best in the new year.