Country
    Singapore

Mineral Water Safe for Shrimps?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

i would like to ask if anyone knows if mineral water like Evian or Ice Mountain are suitable for shrimp tank. Thanks!

regards,
    Ben
    Last edited by benny; 31st Dec 2007 at 10:25. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wow... interesting. but i guess those type of water are the softest you can get?
    Ian
    fish: discus/endlers
    new addition::: CRS advanture

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually evian and vodavoda are pretty high in mineral content...I mean, that's why it's called MINERAL WATER?

I bought a carton of distilled water and ask my mother to top up for a month when I was overseas.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i read before in hong kong, there are crs keepers who does about 80 percent water change using mineral water. And the crs are mostly high grade like mosuras.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the feed back, tell you guys a secret. i forgo whatsoever cycling mentioned in the forums and used 100% Ice Mountain mineral water for the tank. and they seem to be doing well for one day already.

and because of my sudden return to the hobby, i don't have cycled tanks and i'm to anxious to wait so all i used before i tried Ice Mountain was the LFS water that came with the shrimps in the bag. i housed them in a 3 inches (height) tray, its size about an A4 paper. with no pump or lighting, and guess what! the pregnant females gave birth.

thanks for sharing fellow forumers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    btw the shrimps i'm keeping are one of the hardiest cherry shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by godprint View Post
    wow... interesting. but i guess those type of water are the softest you can get?
    yeah man. i tried my own tap water and the shrimps din make it despite adding anti chlorine, ketapang leaves and leaving the water to mature over night. in fact 2 died in the midst of my testing. btw the ICE MOUNTAIN made my taiwan moss bubble too!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by bENjEE View Post
    thanks for the feed back, tell you guys a secret. i forgo whatsoever cycling mentioned in the forums and used 100% Ice Mountain mineral water for the tank. and they seem to be doing well for one day already.
    Yes, while mineral waters can be used on shrimps without any harm, but in good faith, I would suggest reading more to try to understand what cycling is about. Cycling is not just about adding fauna into a new setup and observing there are no problems for one day or even for a few days. While nothing untowards has happened so far to the occupants, there are risks involved and it is of importance that you know what these risks are.

Do take some time to read about cycling,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...94&postcount=2
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/aquaria/general-faq/beginner/
    http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...article_id=113

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Quixotic, Thanks for highlighting. maybe i should start one tank of cycled water. just purely for my shrimps. i understand the benefits after browsing through. i tink i'll start it the fishless cycling method. seems good.