Images
    Country
    Singapore

Difference between 200mm macro and 200mm tele lens

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bough this "Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG macro", when I try the macro function via switch, I didn't see the different between 200mm macro and 200mm tele. Maybe because it is not true macro lense or maybe because I do not know where to look for or maybe both .

So what is the different between 200mm macro and 200mm tele lens?

Why there is no IS (Image Stabilizer) for macro lense? My lense do not have IS to begin with and I'm having trouble to keep my hand still
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have this lens too. It's not a true macro and the smallest things you can probably shoot effectively are large dragonflies and butterflies (given the minimum focal length), but you will need to be very steady if handheld. The 'macro' mode basically allows better focusing at closer distances. The aperture at 200-300 mm isn't great either. And it's hardly a birding lens. But i have gotten some pretty ok results with other wildlife: reptiles, mammals...

I think macro lenses don't come with IS because the manufacture assumes most people will use a tripod. I can handhold down to 1/30, below which I need a monopod at least. If you do want to shoot macro, maybe can consider some close-up filters, or the Canon 50 mm macro f2.5, the Canon EFS 60 mm macro f2.8 or the Canon 100 mm macro f2.8. Or the Tamron/Tokina/Sigma macro offerings...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    when you switch to macro mode, the lens allows you to focus at a shorter distance (vs in non-macro mode) which then result in larger subject image size aka magnification.

note that your lens is not true macro, i.e. it does not produce up to live size image of the subject on your sensor plane.

there ARE macro lenses with IS function, its just that YOUR lens does not have.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I check the photozone, all the macro lense list down without IS. Of course Photozone does not review all the available lense in the market. Maybe newer lense with IS.

I know my lense without IS, it a budget lense to begin with. It should be sufficient for newbie who what to try out tele lense.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nikkor 105mm ƒ/2.8 Micro VR.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I didn't look at Nikon, my camera is Canon
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    e... that nice icon, where do you get that? not in the list

alamak you link to your web site
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Viet Nam
    100mm 2.8 macro is a good one,IMO.
    Last edited by Simon; 8th Jan 2008 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    In my opinion when it comes to truely shooting macro, I think the IS (or VR as called by Nikon) is not that useful. Because at that mode, even very minute shake will cause your picture to be blur. VR/IS can only correct a bit of the shake, not too much. Still a good tripod and flashes are needed.

Come to think of it, AF is pretty much not used too because of the frequent hunting. That's why the Nikon 105mm VR Macro comes with a M/A overwrite that you can switch from AF to MF instantly by turning the focusing ring.

But all that said, I do agree that 105mm VR macro is a very good lens.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Robert,
    I think you should invest in a tripod. I just collected mine, a hand me down from my brother. It's a manfrotto 055NAT2 with Cambro CBH3 ball head.
    By the way how's the Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG macro lens? I was thinking of getting this, but change my mind to a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    all my macro are done with flash, so normally done with hand held. only on tripod in order to achieve critical focus.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I do my macro using a monopod or handheld. A good tripod I recommend is the Gitzo explorer (the one Justin is using)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny View Post
    In my opinion when it comes to truely shooting macro, I think the IS (or VR as called by Nikon) is not that useful. Because at that mode, even very minute shake will cause your picture to be blur. VR/IS can only correct a bit of the shake, not too much. Still a good tripod and flashes are needed.

Come to think of it, AF is pretty much not used too because of the frequent hunting. That's why the Nikon 105mm VR Macro comes with a M/A overwrite that you can switch from AF to MF instantly by turning the focusing ring.

But all that said, I do agree that 105mm VR macro is a very good lens.
    I have the 105 VR. I use the manual all the time for macro shots. Everytime I use M/A overwrite, and if my hand is not steady enough, the focus is out when i press the shutter half way. Let me try to repeat my question. on M/A, I press the shutter halfway and it will focus automtically. If I then turn the M/A ring to focus manually (my finger will be off the firing button), and I press the shutter again, the pic just goes off focus again. Do you have the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I do my macro using a monopod or handheld. A good tripod I recommend is the Gitzo explorer (the one Justin is using)
    I am using a Gitzo Tripod as well. But I am thinking of buying a monopod. It's just a lot easier to set up, in my opinion
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    on Canon EF lenses, the USM drives allow full-time manual, that means you AF to obtain focus, and you can turn the focus ring (without pressing any other gizmo) to manually fine tune the focus, great with a split image viewfinder screen.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
    I have the 105 VR. I use the manual all the time for macro shots. Everytime I use M/A overwrite, and if my hand is not steady enough, the focus is out when i press the shutter half way. Let me try to repeat my question. on M/A, I press the shutter halfway and it will focus automtically. If I then turn the M/A ring to focus manually (my finger will be off the firing button), and I press the shutter again, the pic just goes off focus again. Do you have the problem?
    No I don't have the problem. To use the M/A mode, you must make sure that you're on S (single focus mode) and not C (continuous focus mode). I'm not sure which camera you're using.

Anyway, here's the part you got wrong, you press the shutter halfway to focus, then turn the focus ring to focus manually. But your finger needs to be on the firing button all the time in the half press mode. Once you let go and press again, it will autofocus again when you press the next time.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by trident View Post
    Robert,
    I think you should invest in a tripod. I just collected mine, a hand me down from my brother. It's a manfrotto 055NAT2 with Cambro CBH3 ball head.
    By the way how's the Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG macro lens? I was thinking of getting this, but change my mind to a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    You ask the wrong person, this is my first time holding DSLR camera, first time having 70-300mm lense. I do not know what is considered as good because do not have other lens to capare with

Anyway, I took photo of my espei with macro setting, I do not have flash and my hand shake badly. So decided to use ISO 1600, 1/80, F5.6 and at 300mm. It is a bit too dark though.

How much did you pay for Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS? probably double or even triple Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG macro. Can't compare you get what you pay for
    Last edited by Shadow; 7th Jul 2008 at 10:20.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Robert,
    hahaha first time for me too.
    I haven't bought the EF-S 55-250mm yet, this is also a budget lens. A new one cost about $410.
    Photo turn out OK, considering these small guys move around a lot. Good effort!
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Richard, you got Fuji prosumer camera, the weight probably close to DSLR. I can take photo with compact camera with only one hand, but not with DSLR

I saw at club snap, canon lens price section, OP selling it for $360 and my Sigma is $330. I'm very surprise, usually IS lens is very expensive. I'm considering to get this and sell my Sigma . I can't hold the lens steady enough at 150mm - 300mm, in other word that lense is uselless to me . I'm hopping IS would be great help
    -Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast