Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

water flow rate

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am using an Eheim 2028 for my new 4 x 1.5 x 2 ft (set up for about 2 months now). At the moment the outlet is a rainbar near the top on the left side panel of my tank. the rainbar directs the output across the length of the tank near the water surface.

I am suspecting that the flow rate in the tank is too high. the water is still not clear and there are always particles floating in the water, i think because the current is stirring up all this stuff from the substrate. the plants (mainly cyprus, not sure if i got the spelling right) on the right (i.e. opposite end to the rainbar) always tilt to the left.

How can i know for sure whether the flow rate is too high?

At the moment I am using the Eheim filter itself to control the rate but I don't really want to do that because the filter rate is only about 3x (I think). Is there a better way of reducing the impact of the outflow without compromising the filter rate?

Many thanks for any suggetions that you may have.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

water flow rate

I am using an Eheim 2028 for my new 4 x 1.5 x 2 ft (set up for about 2 months now). At the moment the outlet is a rainbar near the top on the left side panel of my tank. the rainbar directs the output across the length of the tank near the water surface.

I am suspecting that the flow rate in the tank is too high. the water is still not clear and there are always particles floating in the water, i think because the current is stirring up all this stuff from the substrate. the plants (mainly cyprus, not sure if i got the spelling right) on the right (i.e. opposite end to the rainbar) always tilt to the left.

At the moment I am using the Eheim filter itself to control the rate but I don't really want to do that because the filter rate is only about 3x (I think). Is there a better way of reducing the impact of the outflow without compromising the filter rate?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

water flow rate

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

water flow rate

Feedback Score
    Hi Lip,

I've got a similar size tank as yours and also using a 2028. To control flowrate I use a T-join splitter to split the outflow into two. One goes directly into the tank, the other into a CO2 reactor through a on/off valve so that I can control the rate into the reactor. I leave the 2028's rate control at full blast

This is working quite well so far.

eggz

Feedback Score
    Oh yeah one more thing. you might want to point your rain bar away from the plants if possible. The high flow rate makes it hard for the plants to get nutrients from the water.

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thx eggz. Yes, i read about your set up on another thread while doing research for my problem. I am using an external CO2 reactor, so I have no idea what i could do with a T-joint. connect it to another rainbar perpendicular to the present one?

I am actually not pointing the rainbar at any plants because the rainbar is fixed near the top of my tank (2 ft height) and none of my plants are that tall yet. at the moment, the plants are also not affected by the direct current, but by the current that bounced off the opposite wall. that is why i think that the current is too strong for my tank. i am wondering if i am correct?

Feedback Score
    Perhaps you could split the outflow before the external CO2 reactor (just after the 202. Then have one of the splits go into the reactor and the other into the tank.

I did find that with a split, the flow does slow down quite a bit at each outlet. I don't use a rain bar at all.

You might want to adjust the rain bar spray to different positions and see it's effects.

eggz

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simple, just drill more hole on the rainbar, the current will decrease with more outlet holes.
    Danny Chng

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My 2028 is slowed down by my chiller....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My setup using an Eheim 2250 which has the same flowrate as the 2028, I think. Even in a 6ft tank, I had the same problem as you. Much better now. This also ensures you have a good distribution of CO2.
    Code:
    Filter
      /
    Ext CO2
    Reactor
      /
    T-Splitter--Tank right side
      /
    Tank left side
    I use only one rainbar to push water across the top, the other side is just a normal Eheim output pipe.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys, many thanks for the suggestions. i may try to drill holes in the rainbar. kinda of recall someone saying that i can just use a screwdriver, or was i mistaken? what did you use, Danny?

Sherwin, me also trying to get a chiller, but that may take a while.

vinz and eggz, will try the split if all else fail. vinz, just to confirm, where is the position of your t-joint? in the middle of the tank or at one side? i am a little concern about having to run tubes to both the left and right because they may be difficult to conceal.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/23/2002 6:21:09 PM

----------------
    I have the same filter too, using it on a much smaller 2.5ft tank. Yes, 2028 is a powerful pump. What I did was lower the flow by bringing the flow lever backwards until the ball in the flowmeter reads 1 red bar. Second, I removed the rainbar and point the outlet nozzle to the rear wall of my tank.

Notice the rainbar causes alot of turbidity on the water by cycling the water downward.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My T-joint is 1/4 to one side.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lip, maybe u could unscrew the cap of the rainbar. Let the water flow hit the tank walls but the rainbar shud be underwater 2 prevent splashing. I have my outlet pipe pointing 2 the tank wall at one side. This area has water turbulence coz the 2026 is at full blast. My large cories wud hang ard this area. I find that only 1/3 of my tank has fast water flow whereby 2/3 has gentle water flow where my fish could just lie on the sand without moving.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanx, all, for your replies.

Geoffrey, i got a problem with pointing the outlet at the rear wall, because i have a full row of cyprus (wrong spelling again) as the background. so they will be affected anyway.

BFG, i will explore that option again. I have actually thought of it earlier but dismiss it because my rainbar ends very near the wall. so the splash will be quite bad. i am also reluctant to lower the rainbar because that will cause midtank turbulence, which i suspect my altums will not welcome very much.

anyway, just took a look at my rainbar this morning and conclude that I have to be very mistaken to think that I can drill holes in it with a screwdriver. anyone got a suitable drill that i can borrow for a few minutes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a drill you can borrow. But self collect at Serangoon lah.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thx Sherwin. I may take up your offer, may be on Sunday if you are free. Is it ok if i just bring my rainbar for drilling at your place, rather than take your drill back?