Images
    Country
    Singapore

Tank setup for Betta falx

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm obtaining a pair of Betta falx for my 3 month old nano tank. Been struggling with what fish to keep in this tank and finally decided upon this since i managed to get a pair from genes The tank is about 4 gallons (25 cm cube) and using Gex soil, with weekly Wondergro fert dosage and Excel 2-3 times a week. More details on the tank can be found here:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=33217

My questions are:
    1) Is there anything i can do to modify this tank to make it more suitable for the Betta?
    2) Is the current HOB filter sufficient or should I invest in a mini canister like the Resun Cyclone CY-20 or the Boyu EF-05?
    3) How should I go about getting a cover for the tank? Would I need to custom make an acrylic cover, or should I get those hard wire type netting from C328 and cut it into shape myself (and will this affect my lights for the plants?)

Any tips on how to keep the Bettas would also be appreciated as I have only ever kept show Betta splendens before, and those are really hardy fish!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Use netting instead since you are using HOB filter. They can jump through the smallest of holes.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the advice vincent

how should i position the netting? drape it over the lights and HOB? Would it help if i go ahead with the upgrade from HOB to mini canister?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    another question sorry: what tankmates are good for the bettas? i currently have tiger shrimp and a zebra oto. considering adding another if c328 still has stock by the time i decide i just removed 5 axelrodia riesei and 2 threadfin rainbowfish from the tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What's a HOB filter? Head over ...... ? Sorry.
    Your setup looks fine. I'm interested to know the suitable tyank mates too. Possibility of adding other tank mates depends on the betta. I've not tried falx before so hard to comment. But i experiment yamatos with mac and rubra. Only mac will not tolerate the shrimps.
    God will make a way, where there seems to be no way

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hang On Back filter it's one of those you hang over the back wall of your tank and it creates a waterfall effect into your tank. doesn't create very good circulation imo as the water falls downwards and the filter inlet is right next to where the waterfall falls into, thus having a turbulent area where the filter is and relatively still water everywhere else. i'm thinking of getting a 150-200li/hour canister with a rainbar...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm using it as well. So far no problems. Some even manage to breed them with just a bubble filter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha ok i'll save myself $20-$30 then and stick with the HOB filter

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    anyone have any suggestions on a tank cover without interrupting the light into my tank?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    noone has any advice on keeping Betta falx? =(

I've just made an impulse buy of a mini-canister filter (don't know why, but i regretted it 1 minute after spending the money sigh) for the tank and done a major rescape as well. Managed to find some hard plastic netting from C328 to act as a cover too. will need to cut a new cover though when the mini-canister is cycled.

The male is chasing the female every now and then...don't know if it's aggression or he wants to breed. Hope it's not the former.

Current tank inhabitants are:

2x Betta falx (1 pair)
    1x Zebra oto
    1x Zebra snail
    1x Yamato shrimp

Any suggestions on dithers for this tank? I'm thinking of 6 Boraras urophthalmus or Celestichthys margaritatus. don't want fish that grow too large and steal the attention away from the feature fish (the bettas).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also am thinking of replacing the activated carbon given as a filter media with sera/aquamedi peat granules to better emulate their natural environment (lower ph and stained water). is this advisable?

haha i feel like i'm just talking to myself looking at the previous few posts in this thread

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha Yi Xiang I'll save you from the boredom of talking to yourself. I think boraras would do just fine, and also more likely to come from the same biotope.

As for using peats, I think it depends on whether your main focus is a betta biotope or a planted aquascape.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Netting over the tank is fine. I use the lights to hold the netting in place...
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by limchongyu View Post
    Haha Yi Xiang I'll save you from the boredom of talking to yourself. I think boraras would do just fine, and also more likely to come from the same biotope.

As for using peats, I think it depends on whether your main focus is a betta biotope or a planted aquascape.
    i'm thinking that with my black oyama background, a slight tinting of the water would not be too noticeable anyway, and peat granules while still tinting the water doesn't do it so drastically right? a slight yellow tinge i can deal with, just not dark brown water

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If brownish water is ok then I think you can go ahead with peat granules. Its better to place the peat granules in a plastic mesh before putting into your filter so that it wouldn't be too messy when they start to break down over time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    any idea how brown it will get though? if it's like ketapang extract i think i'll forego it and go with adding more filter media instead

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've tried using half packet of Sera super peat for a 2ft tank and it's quite tea brown. Depends on how much you're using.

How are the current tank mates doing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the current tank mates are doing great so far. even a tiger shrimp (i thought all were gone but apparently i still have 1 left) foraging for food right in front of the bettas was left alone as of this morning. I released the zebra snail and yamato shrimp in last night so can't give good feedback there. the zebra oto seems to be doing well too. so far the only aggression i've seen is the male chasing the female around at times.

As for the peat, it'll be about 1/4 of the volume of an eden-501 type of mini canister. 1/2 of the cavity is taken up by the sponge, 1/4 by ceramic rings and currently the last 1/4 is activated carbon. i'm thinking of removing the carbon and replacing it with peat. it's probably going to be less than a handful i think

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Initially my rubra male was chasing the female ferociously for a couple of days but after that I saw them mating. Better cover well and observe(might need to separate) cause I think nicktc lost his female due to harassment. Seldom see lfs selling B. falx.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cover's been made so that's one worry out of the way...hopefully the male won't harass the female to death

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast