Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polarizing filter for aquarium photography?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Polarizing filter for aquarium photography?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all Shifu,
    Do we need a Polarizer filter when taking photos of fish tank?
    I was reading something about using the Polarizer filter when taking photo of fish tank cause it will cut down the glare.
    And then there is Circular Polarizer and Linear Polarizer, now very blur. Please can someone help to explain.
    Thanks.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah me too blur, thinking of buying polarizer to take scenary photo.

I was reading somewhere that polarizer can eliminate the reflection on the glass. Will it eliminate flash reflection on the glass?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    and do not forget polarisers cut down almost two-stops of light.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've been reading review and people keep saying "two stop", 3 f-stop, etc. What does it means. Sorry Richard out of topic question
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    one-stop is half, two-stop is quarter.

so if we say your lens is one-stop slower than another, that means it collects half as much light as the other. and two-stops mean it collect half of (one-stop) = ½ × ½ = ¼.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Robert,
    Interesting question actually, if nobody asked them, nobody will learn.

Simon, Thanks for the very informative website.

Choy, so can I conclusively say that, when you lose two-stops of light, it mean you lose a quarter of the original amount of light?
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I never used it for aquarium photography. Don't think it's of much help.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You do not need a CPL filter to take tank photo but

1) Tank must be brighter than environment. Can be accomplished through remote flash INTO the tank. (not on board flash).

2) If you do not use flash, you can set long exposure. However, fish will become blur lines especially if you have reflective things like cardinal tetra swimming around.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by trident View Post
    Choy, so can I conclusively say that, when you lose two-stops of light, it mean you lose a quarter of the original amount of light?
    no lah! one stop lose half. two stop lose another half. so you are LEFT WITH ONE QUARTER of the original.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how does this translate to the camera setting to compensate it?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    doubling ISO compensates for one-stop, so up your ISO four times to compensate for 2-stops of lost.

if you have a DSLR, put it into manual mode and try it, check it by looking at your built-in light meter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I didn't know there is build in light meter sorry newbie
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    on a Canon DSLR, in your viewfinder or LCD there will be a row with a pointer thing, that is the light meter or exposure indicator. the light meter will tell you what is the expected exposure in manual mode, so you have to adjust shutter speed and aperture so that the pointer goes to "0". but this may nor may not be the right exposure, you have to test shoot as some scenes may be too complicated for the camera to meter properly e.g. a sihouette.

If taking pictures of aquatic plants in the aqurium, polarizer will be very helpful to cut down reflection. Similar concept to landscape photo using polarizer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by trident View Post
    Hi all Shifu,
    Do we need a Polarizer filter when taking photos of fish tank?
    I was reading something about using the Polarizer filter when taking photo of fish tank cause it will cut down the glare.
    And then there is Circular Polarizer and Linear Polarizer, now very blur. Please can someone help to explain.
    Thanks.
    Current DSLRs and auto film SLRs from the 1990s onwards should be using Circular Polarisers. Linear Polarisers are for the older manual-only cameras. Can read up more if you google.

Taking tank pics not necessary to use these filters. We can take the tank pics when the surrounding is dark at night.
    The filters are useful to cut down glare and reflection when outdoors. eg. reflection off the water surface, glass, shiny wax on leaves etc.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaturbo View Post
    If taking pictures of aquatic plants in the aqurium, polarizer will be very helpful to cut down reflection. Similar concept to landscape photo using polarizer.
    Reflections for aquatic photography happens when the amount of light outside of the tank is more than the amount of light inside the tank.
    Therefore, there is the saying of switching off all the lights around your tank when you shoot your tank.

But always remember that the light from your tank will hit you and as a result illuminate yourself and you see yourself in the picture. So at times having a long lens allows you to shoot at a future distance.

All of us who has been shooting fishes don't use polarisers. Already we having problem with lights, why give ourselves more problems cutting down the amount of light enter the lenses by adding an addition 2-stop problem?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Wow! The response over here is incredible. Looks like more people are into photography than I thought. How about a shooting session then?

Anyway, if you're going to get a polarizer for fish shooting, then my advise don't. Like what the others suggested, there are other ways to do it. But if you want it for landscape and scenery as well, then it may worth the investment. It changes the landscape quite a bit with the polarizer at the right time. Of course, it also comes with some learning curve and some trial and error to find out when you should put on your polarizer and when not to.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Luenny,
    Agreed, respond is fantastic, Thanks to all shifus here.
    Can save on the polarizer filter and buy something more useful since these polarizer filter is not cheap.
    You have been itching to shoot, why don't you come over to my place this sunday and shoot my multiple biotope setup?
    Richard

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Richard,
    I'm still down with multiple throat infection - got another one just when I was recovering from the first one. I'll see how I feel this Sunday but chances are I'll be down - if the fever doesn't get me the sore throat will.
    - Luenny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast