Betta & Fighting Fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i'm really new to these fishes...
    just want to clarify something..
    are these bettas fighting fishes?
    or rather how do i differentiate Bettas & fighting fishes?

because a few of my camp mates are getting fighting fishes into camp.. thought of joining them.. but i do not know where to get good fighting fishes...
    and these bettas all look so beautiful... not a bit like anything used for fighting..
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bettas = fighting fish. The man-made strains have fancy long fins which aren't really useful for fighting, while the 'wild' forms (often called plakats) have short tails and fins. The most common betta sold is the Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens) which comes in numerous strains. But there are about 70 or more different species of wild bettas as well. Search around in this section of the forum and I think you'll learn more.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro these are the list for siamese fighting fish that I know that you might be interested at.

1. Plakat
    2. Half Moon
    3. Crown Tail
    4. Delta
    5. Super Delta
    6. Half Moon Plakat
    7. Crowntail Plakat
    8. Giant

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    let me be more clear. Betta refers to a group of fishes naturally distributed in Southeast Asia. one of these is the so called "siamese fighting fish" (known as Betta splendens in Latin). There are currently about 60+ members (species) in the group Betta.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by FaRnieGuy View Post
    i'm really new to these fishes...
    just want to clarify something..
    are these bettas fighting fishes?
    or rather how do i differentiate Bettas & fighting fishes?

because a few of my camp mates are getting fighting fishes into camp.. thought of joining them.. but i do not know where to get good fighting fishes...
    and these bettas all look so beautiful... not a bit like anything used for fighting..
    Hi there, if you really wants to use your fighting fish to fight for you, you don't really have to get fancy fish just any type of short fins fighting fish will do. Find those big in size and big mouth type. I got some at c328 last week not bad just paid one gold coin for each. But if you really wants to admire the beauty of it, i think you have to spend a bit more... There's just so many types out there.. different colours, etc...
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Betta fighting is animal cruelty. Please don't buy them just for the sake of fun to see them fighting. There are numerous show bettas where you can purchase & admire their beauty.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 3rd Mar 2008 at 21:01.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RHX View Post
    Betta fighting is animal cruelty. Please don't buy them just for the sake of fun to see them fighting. There are numerous show bettas where you can purchase & admire their beauty.

agree with you on this bro

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    I will agree with RHX and kramsa.
    Buy a nice little nano cube and they'll soon be impressed and want one, instead of fighting the fishes.
    If you must fight the fish, i'd buy a male plakat..they are generally much more muscular than the domesticated betta (with long flowing fins) and are somewhat more aggressive...however, you wouldnt fight two dogs, so why fight two fish? If you want to see them flare, put a mirror next to his tank, or feed him tadpoles..
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Mez View Post
    If you want to see them flare, put a mirror next to his tank, or feed him tadpoles..
    that is a good idea, bro How come i didn't think of that.

Like to see them flare. Beautiful.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    bro nowadays there isnt so much fighting taking place among betta splendens.

In fact most breeders breed to improve their finnage and colours.

Its really very different from the olden days where traditional and fighter plakats were the main line of fish in the hobby.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Betta & Fighting Fish

fighting fish is betta. there are also many different species of them most common betta splendens