Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Hygro difformis (Water Wisteria)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hygro difformis (Water Wisteria)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Any idea what is the growth rate of Wisteria? Got a bunch of them in my 2 feet tank and all are sprouting new leaves which is a good thing. But I read from some website it is suppose to be fast grower but from what I am seeing it is more of a moderate growth than fast growth.
    Also will it grow upwards rather than just spreads out? I am seeing my plant spreading out quite quickly but not upwards like what i am hoping for? Inputs and discussion?
    WaterH2O
    <Fish are Friends, not food>

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They are rather fast growers. I think if the light source is good, they won't grow upward so much. What's your tank size and light wattage?

Maybe it is just relativity: If you are new to planted tanks, everything grows slowly.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hmm... Hydro? It should actually be Hygro. difformis, where Hygro. here stands for Hygrophila, hence the full scientific name Hygrophila difformis.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With good lighting and co2, hygrophila deformis will grow fast. I have to trim the plant almost weekly and they are nice when grown in compact mass. Easy to grow and undemanding, they are versatile as you can grow them in mid-back ground, and they can even be grown as floating plant.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry for the typo error it should be 3 feet tank. I am using 2 X 36Watt Philips compact light that I got from Mr Chan from Nature aquarium when I brought the whole setup from him. I have not doubt that the Hygro is growing the only problem is I want it to grow upwards rather than spreads out.
    WaterH2O

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Insert root boosters and have a small handful of floating plants on top of the hygro. deformis. Personally, I don't think the plant would look nice with stems growing upward only. There should be more nodes along each stem for more leaves to spread out. This plant certainly needs space to grow.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree that wisteria looks much better when it spreads out it leaves like a tree and that was the reason why I brought this plant. The thing is I planted them at the back and I am hoping that they will grow a bit more upwards to provide a nice back drop. Maybe I planted the worng plant there should have planted the Milfoil or the Anarcharis there instead. Thanks for the advice.
    WaterH2O