Singapore

Growth Rate

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Set up my planted tank 3 weeks ago,
    1st week - the tank was good but due to inexperiency on my part the plants were not planted properly. got only minimal plants then. Got worried as i found the substrate seeping through the gravel.
    2nd week - Replanted the tank with more numbers of plants making up nearly 10 varieties in the tank. Added in DIY CO2, plants grew v. fast and well.
    3rd week - had bad break of algae (brush and spot)in the tank, seems like lots of my riccia had brown/black fluffy stems now. addded in 5 yamatos, 3otos, 3 SAE to control the algae last thurs. Fri, did a partial change of water. The plants dont seem to be growing as fast as they did during the 1st week... need comments on this... the riccia seems to have stopped growing or growing very minimally....
    4th week (present) - Spot algae not spotted anymore but brush algae still quite a bit on my riccia.... and plants... riccia still growing very minimally and stopped bubbling since end of 3rd week..

need urgent advice on the growth of riccia and how to rid of my brush algae??

Specs :
    2ftx1ftx1ft Tank
    2x36PL lites (10hour timing)
    DIY CO2
    Internal Filter
    Plants incl. cabomba, Hottonia inflate,Rotala wallichii, riccia, xmass moss and some others....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Growth Rate

Hi all,

1st week - the tank was good but due to inexperiency on my part the plants were not planted properly. got only minimal plants then. Got worried as i found the substrate seeping through the gravel.
    2nd week - Replanted the tank with more numbers of plants making up nearly 10 varieties in the tank. Added in DIY CO2, plants grew v. fast and well.
    3rd week - had bad break of algae (brush and spot)in the tank, seems like lots of my riccia had brown/black fluffy stems now. addded in 5 yamatos, 3otos, 3 SAE to control the algae last thurs. Fri, did a partial change of water. The plants dont seem to be growing as fast as they did during the 1st week... need comments on this... the riccia seems to have stopped growing or growing very minimally....
    4th week (present) - Spot algae not spotted anymore but brush algae still quite a bit on my riccia.... and plants... riccia still growing very minimally and stopped bubbling since end of 3rd week..

Specs :
    2ftx1ftx1ft Tank
    DIY CO2
    Internal Filter
    Plants incl. cabomba, Hottonia inflate,Rotala wallichii, riccia, xmass moss and some others....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Growth Rate

Hi all,

Specs :
    2ftx1ftx1ft Tank
    DIY CO2
    Internal Filter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Growth Rate

Hi all,

Specs :
    2ftx1ftx1ft Tank
    DIY CO2
    Internal Filter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try trimming of the plants..sort of recharges the plant..hope that works []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1. Stop ferterlization if any.
    2. Reduce lighting to 8~9 hours.
    3. Care to advice how many fishes you have in your tank now.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    have not started fertilisation yet as I feel its a new tank...
    have currently 5 yamatos, 3SAE, 3 otos... is that too much??
    will reduce the lighting from tonite...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have been trimming the rest of the plants, which are growing very fast.
    its the riccia i am worried about, seems very slow....

----------------
    On 10/27/2002 9:49:24 PM

Try trimming of the plants..sort of recharges the plant..hope that works []
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Plants stop growing when they run out of nutrients. Your tank could be short of something that is limiting plant growth... since you have not started fert, it could be that.

Riccia takes nutrients from the water only, so either your water is depleted of whatever it needs, or it was growing on stored nutrients. If your other plants are rooted plants and are still growing, then most likely they are utilising the fert in your substrate.

This is probably a good time to start fert. Try at half dose first to see response, then adjust the dosage with your observations. Have you re-newed the DIY CO2 yet? That could be a factor too. If you want a more consistant CO2 production, setup 2 bottles, and renew each bottle alternately. I.e. if a bottle last you 4 weeks, then renew one bottle every 2 weeks.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    72W is SUPER high light for a 2ft tank (at least 4.5W/gal). Keeping up with nutrient and CO2 is important as Vincent mentioned. Do not slack in your nutrients and CO2 or else you will get a nasty algae attack.

At this lighting you can increase your fertiliser dosage a bit at a time and can be more than that prescribed on the label. BUT the critical thing to take note is CO2. DIY CO2 has the problem of slowing down after a few days. You have to monitor the CO2 output. Add another bottle if needed so that you can alternate the re-charging of each bottle to get a more constant CO2 supply.

You can consider reducing the lighting to 36W for the time being until you get the hang of things. I used to have 30W on my 2ft and still get quite decent growth and after some time than I up it to 51W.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    may be you want to try reduce light to 36w for a while.
    float some of the ricca and see how they are doing. by floating the ricca you would definitely have enough light. so if it still doesn't grow much add a little fertilizer .
    thomas liew