Country
    Singapore

Background paper

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    Does the background color of a tank affect the coloration of a fish when taking photo?
    I remembered years ago, when I saw some photographers taking photos of green apples, they used green paper to surround the green apples and the result is the apples appeared greener, much nicer than the original apples.
    Can we use red background paper and the resultant photo will show the fish redder?
    Thanks
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Then the effect you get is known as false colouration.
    Moreover, it is easier to do it as a post processing job. Just shift the red or green in photoshop.
    Another easier way is to use cellophane paper to wrap your flash. Even easier. COnfirm super red.

My personal opinion is that, the true colour of the fish should always be presented so that people who do not know of the fish are not misled into thinking that all fishes should be that kind of colour.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Agree with Vincent, Richard normally setting the colour to a more vivid option or just playing with the contrast would give good results. Post processing for reporting IMHO is only for you to correct some mistakes while shooting including exposure, dust, flare, noise, sharpness etc.

Richard what you mention is true if you have a strong colour material subject[whether in bg in frame or out of frame] and when light hits it, it reflects around everywhere.

Example- wooden flooring makes the whole room look warm when sunlight hits it. Just like if you shoot a group of red discus. The red reflective light that comes off the fishes will reflect off each other, creating an even redder look even without changing the bg.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What about processing it to make the background looks really dark? I saw nice solid black background in many aquascape pictures (the rest of the tank is bright) and I just can't achieve that. The foreground of my pictures turn dark blue due to light. I am having black oyama sticker for the rear of the tank.
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    With black oyama at the back your picture should have dark background already. If your foreground is dark blue, then your foreground may not have enough light. You can try flashing the foreground by putting some flashes on top of the tank.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry, typo error. I meant the background appears dark blue even with black oyama.

Like this picture where the background is not black

If I adjust the tone curve, the rest of the parts will be also darken, which I am trying to avoid.
    Last edited by zenscape; 25th Jan 2008 at 16:41.
    Maurice Cheong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    That's pretty easy to achieve Maurice, either underexpose a little, increase contrast via camera settings or do a little post processing in PS. This is assuming your aquarium water is crystal clear as particles in the water will affect the contrast of the shot.

It looks like your water is not crystal clear IMHO.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Stan, I will try what you had suggested. I did try to do a little post processing and every turned dark. Maybe my camera setting was too underexposed to start with
    Maurice Cheong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Agree with Stan. A little underexposure or PP should do the trick. Nice tank you have there. How many tanks do you have at your house anyway?
    - Luenny