Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fauna in vivariums

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    was wondering anyone kept those feeder frogs as pets in vivarium? what do they eat? and do they grow big fast?
    im setting up a 1ft cube vivairum.. rougly 30 -40% water and 60 - 70% land..
    need help on faunas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The smaller species will eat tubifex worms, the larger ones (bullfrog i think) will eat the smaller frogs . I have seen the owner of aquarium shop, go nature feed his pet bullfrog with mealworms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i went to c328 today.. bought a pack of small feeder frog. the frogs are still with their tail.. and without tail.. length is around 1cm.. i got 5 of them now in my 1ft cube vivarium... hopefully they can survive.. was wondering if i can feed them frozen bloodworm?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think these feeders are bullfrog, plan to have frog legs when they are bigger?
    Pin head crickets will be better and more nutritious than bloodworms, frogs also need calcium supplements.
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i don't think i wanna feed any live food to them.. and pin head also not easy to find.. any other food?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hey EvolutionZ, where's your picture?

Since you are not going to feed live food, will your poor frogs turn into vegetarian?

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    pictures coming up.. hha..
    i will try to feed them frozen blood worm. my mum hate those live food like crickets and worms.. so not really possible to feed them live food..
    Last edited by Justikanz; 19th Feb 2008 at 13:55. Reason: Removing immediate quotation

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, i think those frog farms, they feed their bullfrogs dead food. I know that African clawed frogs will eat pellets, but yeah i have seen many websites claim that frogs wouldn't eat dead food too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A frog living in conditions in a commercial farm and in a little tank is vastly different, even the pellets fed to the frogs in the farm is loaded with vitamins and nutrition, I doubt frogs feeding on just blood worm will survive long, they will just waste away without or proper food or care.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 19th Feb 2008 at 13:56. Reason: Removing immediate quotation
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Merely trying to dispel the misconception that frogs wouldn't touch dead food, i wouldn't know the nutritional value of dead bloodworms to a frog, personally.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Frogs do not eat food that is not moving. Frogs grown in commercial setups might take pellets but they might had been trained to do so over some time.

Baby frogs with some of their tails left can take live tubifex worms and blood worms. But do note that they will NOT eat the worms when the worms are in water. Frogs feed above water.

Once bigger, you can move on to pinhead crickets, medium sized crickets or mealworms and then full sized crickets and superworms.

Please note that we should NEVER release the bullfrogs (feeder frogs) to the environment once we grow tired of them. It is the responsibility of the pet owner to see to and attend to the pet, bull frog or expensive dog, to the end of its life journey. We already have a weak and fragile natural environment and the last thing we want is an adult bull frog released to our forests to eat up our native fauna.

Do note that bull frogs can grow HUGE. And males can be very noisy. Always read up before deciding to keep any animals.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...