Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Blinded in one eye.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently, two of my cichlids and a ram has got a white layer over one of their eyes. Does anyone know if they are due to aggressions from other tankmates or some disease?
    Work Whenever, Fish Forever.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Blinded in one eye.

Recently, two of my cichlids and a ram has got a white layer over one of their eyes. Does anyone know if they are due to aggressions from other tankmates or some disease?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Blinded in one eye.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Blinded in one eye.

I think its def disease, called cloudy eyes, caused by bacteria. check out the net for fish diseases or go to LFS and see the medications for descriptions.good luck!

oh and if 3 fishes in your tank kena oredi, I think you should quickly remove them to prevent spreading to the other fishes. and check your water quality, etc. sometimes disease strikes cuz of newly introduced fishes carrying the bacteria or stressed fish due to water quality or harrassment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But its only one eye on each fish and the rest are not affected till now?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If the outbreak is oreli there for a few days, reckon u treat the entire tanks coz chances is that the rest of the tankmates oreli kenna ! , well! for the time being remove the " sick ones " and treat them separatley, Cheers !

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    its been there for weeks now. i think they could be due to aggression from other tankmates...maybe got bitten on that one eye, then it turned white and later became blind...what do you think?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 10/25/2002 3:59:18 PM

its been there for weeks now. i think they could be due to aggression from other tankmates...maybe got bitten on that one eye, then it turned white and later became blind...what do you think?
    ----------------
    eZion, I don't think so.... This is an external infection. They were still eye normally and same aggression to other. This kind of disease I post b4 is due to old age and poor water condition. Most of the time is due to poor water condition. This disease spread very slowly. It will infect a few fish at a time. Some take a few months to kana infected. Like allen say better treat the whole tank. This disease did nothing but cause blindness to the fish, once the white patch cover the whole eye and the fish will not be able to look for food and evenutally die of hunger. Just a bit of info hope it can help[:]

actually I think it's quite improbable to be bitten on the eye, cuz fishes are very jittery and quick to siam by nature, most attacks occur on fins, tail, etc. for fish to kena bitten by eye, either its very very slow to react or has big bulging eyes which can be easy bitten like goldfish maybe? so I really think you should rule out aggression!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would guess that the affected fishes got chased and in their bid to escape, part of their eye scraped against some surface, resulting in an infection. Since weeks had passed, your fishes might be already blinded...
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yah, blinded in one eye...after looking thru', i think chris's conclusion is more close...forgotten to mention that the fishes are from different tanks.

but I really think it's so rare to get an eye injury or infection after that! so the probability of that happening in DIFFERENT tanks somemore, makes it really hard to achieve! anyway best advice is, leave nothing to chance, dose with med anyway and see how!