Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sundew rendered by the EF 100mm ƒ/2.8 Macro USM

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    before I kena hooted by Benny for holding out on AQ…

The EF 100mm macro lens is sharp. while there are are lenses that are "tack sharp", some how the macro lens has this "clinically sharp" quality about it. click the full res pix and see the details! shot at ƒ/13 to avoid excessive diffraction softness, 1:1 magnification and slight cropping. no sharpening in photoshop.

* click pix for full resolution *

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,
    I do agree with you that the canon 100mm is a sharp lens, this picture certainly proves it. I am now in the process of buying a macro lens and would to hear what do you think of the Tamron 90mm macro.
    Thnaks.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have used the tamron 90 on a Nikon. It is certainly a damn sharp lens and very competent and well built. The only thing lacking is internal focusing (i.e. lens barrel of the tamron extends during focusing).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would say that the 100 mm is really sharp, as can be seen by hwchoy's excellent example here. Comparable to other L lenses costing 2 to 3 times more in the same focal range.

Internal focusing is actually important if you don't want your subjects to be 'spooked' while you are shooting. Sometimes it happens.

Anyway, as I've said, very good control of lighting for the above pictures. However, I think I would prefer a slight more generous crop for the second frame. I thought it was a bit too tight. But I love the composition.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy, Benny,
    Thanks for your reply, initially I was looking to buying the Tamron 90mm, but after using Benetay's Canon 100mm I have decided to get the 100mm instead. I feel the internal focusing is very fast and smooth and of course I don't want to "spook" my subject while shooting.
    Thanks
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Anyway, as I've said, very good control of lighting for the above pictures. However, I think I would prefer a slight more generous crop for the second frame. I thought it was a bit too tight. But I love the composition.

Cheers,
    alas, a lot of times with subjects like these its not a matter of photography but rather documentation. the subjects were in one large tray that cannot be moved because these plants are extremely sensitive to being moved about. so its not much composition but how to siam the neighbouring plants and the pots, etc that's also why the high speed flash to black out the surroundings.

lighting control? as I said, the magic of ETTL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by trident View Post
    Choy, Benny,
    Thanks for your reply, initially I was looking to buying the Tamron 90mm, but after using Benetay's Canon 100mm I have decided to get the 100mm instead. I feel the internal focusing is very fast and smooth and of course I don't want to "spook" my subject while shooting.
    Thanks
    Keep a look out for 2nd hands in the market.
    But do you the current market price as a guide. So 2nd hand should be less than 700 if possible.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Is that sundew belongs to somebody one or wild one?
    Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    in the bottom corner you can see it belongs to WEE Wei Wen. This is Ifurita at the plant forum lah.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy: Nice pic. The flower looks like hanging in mid-air. I got to try this sometime. My macro lens is under-utilised!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    that's the feeding organ (or whatchamacallit) of the sundew, not flower. I think its a modified leaf.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    in the bottom corner you can see it belongs to WEE Wei Wen. This is Ifurita at the plant forum lah.
    Oh is Ifurita.
    Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/