Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Decap Brine Shrimp Eggs: Good or Bad?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Decap Brine Shrimp Eggs: Good or Bad?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Found this article on the web. Quite interesting to find out that decap eggs are not well absorbed by fries.

http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleDecap.htm
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    read properly

It has been said that when a juvenile fish feeds heavily on non-hydrated decapsulated brine shrimp eggs (decaps), the fish will or can die when the decapsulated egg swells in the gut.
    as long as you hydrate it beforehand, no issues. i've raised fry purely on decap bs eggs and no troublesome bbs

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    read properly

as long as you hydrate it beforehand, no issues. i've raised fry purely on decap bs eggs and no troublesome bbs
    My fries are juvenile now with decap bs eggs as their main diet.Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Read past the first paragraph if you will.

I took a couple fecal samples and looked at them at 30X under the scope. The excreted decaps were encased in the clear gelatinous material that is commonly seen in fish that haven't eaten in a few days. The individual cyst could still be clearly seen. The transparent outer-layer of the cyst appeared to be intact. The material inside the shell was still present in varying amounts. Some looked completely as they did before being fed, some looked almost completely empty, but most looked as if about 1/2 the food matter was gone or shrunk. This was an eye opener and explained previously observed slow growth when feeding decapsulated artemia as well as the higher than normal bacterial problems when feeding them.
    And if you can read till the last:

Conclusion: Decapsulated artemia is a food that is not readily absorbed through digestion. The undigested food in the fecal matter is a potential hazard to water quality and will likely raise bacterial levels greatly. This makes it a poor choice for fish like angelfish that are very susceptible to high bacterial levels. In addition it's low digestibility makes it an overall poor value in fish foods.
    I wonder if it is true since they are a lot of conflicting information web. It could be targeted at angelfish species so may not apply to the fish species.
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    again, i think he is talking about unsoaked decap eggs. when soaked they will be soft enough to digest

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    zyblack,
    I, too, have been feeding my discus fries on decaps for quite a long time liao.
    so far no negative effect.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/