Country
    Singapore

Q:does spiky moss creep?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys,

does spiky moss creep? as in if i were to just tie some on a portion of a driftwood or a rock, will it slowly cover the rock over time or only just grow longer and longer?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Depend on how you divine creep. I have x'mass moss and the new fronds / branches stick to the driftwood. This is why I call creep, spiky moss on the other hand do not have this kind of behavior.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm, but i saw a thread in killies forum and the scaper only tied a small amount near the tip of rocks and dw, but over time the moss covered the rocks and dw and almost 5mths later, it grew till a nice round shape and he also stated that he used spiky moss. so i was wondering how is that possible?

so to cover the whole driftwood or rocks, the only way will be to fully cover them with moss initially?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i got another idea if u want new fonds to grow on your dw or bog wood. u can try tying the spiky on yr dw emersed. emersed moss tends to grow faster in my opinion. they spread faster as well. meaning to say soak your dw in water not fully. let the dw absorb the water. thats what i am experimenting now. if you ever visit teo farm before go and take a look at where they sell their moss on dw you will know what i mean..
    cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Re: Q:does spiky moss creep?

Quote Originally Posted by equidorz View Post
    i got another idea if u want new fonds to grow on your dw or bog wood. u can try tying the spiky on yr dw emersed. emersed moss tends to grow faster in my opinion. they spread faster as well. meaning to say soak your dw in water not fully. let the dw absorb the water. thats what i am experimenting now. if you ever visit teo farm before go and take a look at where they sell their moss on dw you will know what i mean..
    cheers
    I know it is an old thread.
    Does it work with Spiky moss?
    Still trying hard to figure out how to attached Spiky to driftwood naturally.
    It works very well with mini fissiden, they attached to the wood within a month.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Q:does spiky moss creep?

As Shadow mentioned, spiky moss does not attach itself to wood naturally (unlike fissiden or xmas moss or pelia). so I guess the only way is to tie them to your wood if you want it covered. But from past experience, once spiky grows out, it may detach unless you keep trimming, i guess.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Isit just a matter of time, or not at all? Because I'm thinking, moss isn't found loose in the wild, but attached, right? Unless spiky moss is a naturally emergent specie, thus it will not attach underwater..?