Country
    Singapore

Nikon Close-up Speedlight Remote Kit R1 & Macro lenses

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

Anyone knows about the above? I have the SB800. Can it be used with the above? There is also the R1C1 which includes the SU800. What is the difference between the 2?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
    Hi all

Anyone knows about the above? I have the SB800. Can it be used with the above? There is also the R1C1 which includes the SU800. What is the difference between the 2?
    You can refer to here for info.

R1

R1C1

Ken Rockwell
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    R1C1 kit is for cameras without the 'commander' mode. Hence you need the SU-800 to trigger the flash wireless whilst retaining the iTTL function.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have seen it in action, comparing to the canon counterpart, the wireless/cordless version is so much easier to use in the field. However, I personally feel that such dedicated flash system is good for closeup, not every macro subject. That is one of the reason why I only saw it once in action by my fellow butterfly guru and never came out of the dry cabinet since then .

The R1 can be used with 4 flash units, ideally 3 units on the subject and 1 at the background to give amble lighting to produce a nice background.

just my take. Such system is not everyone's cup of tea

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So for my camera body (D80), I just need the R1 right? I will need the built in flash to serve as the commander? My only concern is that the built-in flash may be powerful enough versus SB800 with the R1 kit. Can the SB800 be used with the R1?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, noted.

What do you think of the AF Micro 200mm f/4D IF-ED?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Jeff,

Go for the R1C1. Because when you get your D3, you will realise that you still need the SU-800. Also, I know the commander mode can be programmed not to fire whilst it trigger the wireless flash, but I heard it's a bit complicated to set. I may be wrong.

And get the AF Micro 200 mm f/4D IF-ED. This week if possible. Then you can use it on Sunday.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Jeff,

Go for the R1C1. Because when you get your D3, you will realise that you still need the SU-800. Also, I know the commander mode can be programmed not to fire whilst it trigger the wireless flash, but I heard it's a bit complicated to set. I may be wrong.

And get the AF Micro 200 mm f/4D IF-ED. This week if possible. Then you can use it on Sunday.

Cheers,
    Friend, you think I print money... I am unemployed leh.....

Can I buy the R1 and then add the SU800 later? Can SB800 be used in place?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you probably wouldn't believe this, but 100% of my fellow butterfly friends (about 8 to 9 of them) using a 180mm macro lens either nikon or canon prefer the Tamron 180mm, for its optical quality and price. Apart from not having a real time manual focus, I think it is a great lens.

I do not owe a nikon system so I can't comment much on the 200mm.

At 200mm, in my field experience, your technical basic has to be good (without the use of a tripod of course)

my dream setup

photo from really right stuff

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon

That's a very very interesting comment. You are looking from quality versus price perspective right? But just from quality angle, is there a huge difference between the 2?

Do you know how much the Tamron 180 cost?
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon

That's a very very interesting comment. You are looking from quality versus price perspective right? But just from quality angle, is there a huge difference between the 2?

Do you know how much the Tamron 180 cost?
    It should be about $1.2k for a nikon mount.
    I had opt for a Sigma 150mm f2.8 mainly for the weight and aperture though.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well, I know a few of them switched from whatever brand (canon, nikon, sigma) to the tamron 180. Hugh difference? nah, most lenses are almost similar, except for maybe a slight difference in optical quality. There was an article once on comparison between the canon, sigma and tamron. Both the canon and tamron 50 & 90mm came up tops with the sigma 50mm winning over the canon and both the canon and tamron is at par at the 90/100mm length. I wouldn't suggest you go with hearsay, it is better for yourself to have a look at the lenses, because some hobbyist will prefer build quality over other factors. I can vouch on the optical quality of the tamron 180. I never like the sigma, although externally, it looks so much better than the tamron, but a few of my friends had problems with the peeling of the EX coating haha.

When I got mine 3-4yrs ago, it was about 1.1k, should be slightly cheaper now. You already have the 105mm, I suggest you make full use of that lens before upgrading. 180mm gives me a usable distance between me and the subject, especially with butterflies, can't say it is the same for other macro subjects but as long as you dealing with sensitive bugs like the butterfly, a short macro lens should do relatively fine.

a longer macro lens does sometimes have problems of their own, especially at tight places where the minimum focusing distance is impossible and sometime you wish you had a shorter lens with you

keep your money in your wallet and play with your 105mm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    well, I know a few of them switched from whatever brand (canon, nikon, sigma) to the tamron 180. Hugh difference? nah, most lenses are almost similar, except for maybe a slight difference in optical quality. There was an article once on comparison between the canon, sigma and tamron. Both the canon and tamron 50 & 90mm came up tops with the sigma 50mm winning over the canon and both the canon and tamron is at par at the 90/100mm length. I wouldn't suggest you go with hearsay, it is better for yourself to have a look at the lenses, because some hobbyist will prefer build quality over other factors. I can vouch on the optical quality of the tamron 180. I never like the sigma, although externally, it looks so much better than the tamron, but a few of my friends had problems with the peeling of the EX coating haha.
    I have to agree with that. There is a saying that if these companies can't manage to even produce a decent prime lense, they shouldn't be in the market at all.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    180mm gives me a usable distance between me and the subject, especially with butterflies, can't say it is the same for other macro subjects but as long as you dealing with sensitive bugs like the butterfly, a short macro lens should do relatively fine.
    Simon

Did I get you wrong and did you mistype? For sensitive insects like butterflies, a long macro lens should be better rite?

Anyways, I feel that the 105mm is too short for butterflies, dragon flies etc... unless i damn lucky or damn fit to chase them around like Robert....

I do worry that if I upgrade to D3, both the 105 and 180 will be damn short...
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I do worry that if I upgrade to D3, both the 105 and 180 will be damn short...
    Add a tele converter. That's what I was using on Sunday on the 180 mm.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oops.. my bad, bad typo

lets say, wait till you get a hang of things first, get your basic brush up before all the upgrading thoughts comes jumping out of you

sometimes, it is not how fit you are, but your understanding of the subject. Take for an example dragonflies, generally, most dragons will fly back to the same spot when you approach them ( not spook them off )

If you are interested, you can always tag along on my butterfly outings to find out how simple butterflies can be, okie maybe not everyone of them

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oops.. my bad, bad typo

lets say, wait till you get a hang of things first, get your basic brush up before all the upgrading thoughts comes jumping out of you

sometimes, it is not how fit you are, but your understanding of the subject. Take for an example dragonflies, generally, most dragons will fly back to the same spot when you approach them ( not spook them off )

If you are interested, you can always tag along on my butterfly outings to find out how simple butterflies can be, okie maybe not everyone of them
    hmmm.. agree with you.. maybe I should shoot more. Having said that, i cant go this Sunday... I will go on Friday morning to shoot....And I think, for my shots which you saw, the tripod serves me better than the monopod...alot sharper.....my hands not steady enough for the monopod
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Obviously if everything stay still, a tripod will be the top choice. But a macro lens is still managable in my opinon, we usually take a few shots handheld before moving closer or setup a tripod for the subject. It is rather tiring if the subjects kept moving away each time you have your tripod open

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm.. agree with you.. maybe I should shoot more. Having said that, i cant go this Sunday... I will go on Friday morning to shoot....And I think, for my shots which you saw, the tripod serves me better than the monopod...alot sharper.....my hands not steady enough for the monopod
    I see you are having second thoughts about the monopod now....

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    I see you are having second thoughts about the monopod now....

Cheers,
    I think my hands alone not steady enough... so monopod and tripod really serves different purposes. I am trying to see whether my tripod can be a monopod by extending only one leg. If the subject stays still, i can then extend the other 2 legs...Wonder whether people do that... or maybe I am weird
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast