Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Diet for my red rubies?

Diet for my red rubies?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i have a really dumb question. i just got 3 'red rubies' from c328. i'm not sure what fish they are, because i googled and nothing came up, but the guy there said they won't eat shrimps, so i added them to my shrimp tank. just wondering, what do/can they eat? i know there's this kind of fish food that's really tiny, but isn't it kind of....expensive if i buy one bottle to feed just 3 fishes? can they eat the algae wafers too?

sorry if it's dumb, or if it's in the wrong place. =X
    Last edited by benny; 29th Jan 2008 at 08:05. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try hikari the mini pellets,forgot whats the exact name. all my fish love that and strangely, they love crab cuisine too haha. always snatch at the bottom, guppies + white cloud mountain minnow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Go to your LFS or NTUC and you can find this fish food from Hai Feng for Neon tetras. I find that this food is suitable for many type of small fishes. Cost is below $5.00/bottle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The "red rubies" from C328 are actually Axelrodia riesei, commonly known as Ruby Tetras. The ones i saw at C328 yesterday (28th Jan), were tiny. They can grow up to a maximum of 1-1.5 inches I believe. I had a few that I recently sold off that were ~1 inch.

As for food, these guys aren't picky. They will take most commercial fish foods. Mine at whatever i feed my apistos (I used them as dither fish for apistos): Tetra pro colour, decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, New Life Spectrum Cichlid formula, frozen brine shrimp, live brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms.

i've bought commercial fish food for them, but i haven't actually seen them eating at all. they just hide among the plants. should i be worried? i haven't actually seen any fishes that aren't enthu about food pellets sinking in front of them.