Singapore

Fungus on tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

Need some advice urgently.

I noticed some tetras, neon and cardinal, have fungus or white spots on them. A couple has died since this week. What medication shd I give them in a planted tank consist also of rummy nose, discus, angels, oto, cory and yamatos?

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fungus on tetra

Hi

I noticed some tetras, neon and cardinal, have fungus or white spots on them. A couple has died since this week. What medication shd I give them in a planted tank consist also of rummy nose, discus, angels, oto, cory and yamatos?

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fungus on tetra

Hi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fungus on tetra

Hi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm terribly sorry.

Wrong place to post. Should go into the medical room one.

Can the moderator place it there

Feedback Score
    I think what you are encoutering is the neon tetra disease. It is contagious and kills the fish in a short time. The fish forms a white bloach on its body? If so likely the cause.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hello uncle catz

moved your posting to the medical section[]

before you medicate or attempt to medicate your tank, you should test your water for N02 or NO3 levels...plus how long has this tank been setup?

since it is a planted tank it may be alittle tricky. aquarium salt dosing is the safest way for the biofilter but your plants may suffer alittle, incidentally what plants in general do you have. perhaps dosing at half dosage (1tbsp to 10 gallons of water).

Avoid Mat Blue as this will distroy your biofilter, and stain you tank. If there is an open wound on your fish, that fish will kapoots.

If you really must us med, consider the one from interpet that says they are bio and plant safe.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thnx guys.

The 4ft tank is abt 4 mths, with variety of plants (see pix in My Tank).

Noticed only the tetras have this problem. One even has white thingy sticking out of its body.

Will probably try the salt method after water change. Will raising the temp help? 1 table spoon per 10 gallons, right? Any difference using noraml salt than aquarium salt?

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1 table spoon for 5 gallon is the recommended dosage. Raising the temperature will help speed up the metabolism of the fish as well as the growing cycle of the "worm" causing it t leave the fish faster which is when the salt will kill it.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pete

problem if use the full dose is that the stemmed plants may not be able to take the salinity level which is why i recommended half the dosage.....aquarium salt is idoine free while common table salt does.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the problem here is not NTD
    white spots on the body commonly signify icthysporistius multifiliis, or *ahem* white spot disease
    salt will do in these buggers

afaik most plants can take up to 3tbsp per 5 gallons water without ill effect for the time it takes to clear up ich
    1 is good enuff
    and no salt contains iodine, you're thinking of iodide, which is in table salt to combat goiter (i think)
    i don't think it'll affect fish that much, especially as seeing how you're going to dilute the water back to normal once the treatment is over

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all

I am having the same problem with my neons as well. Belly goes white and then fungus and then weight loss before dying. I have other fishes in there but they seem to be alright. My is also a planted tank. So should I just salt the tank and does this effect the other fishes ?

Appreciate any help I can get.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Salt is pretty safe provided you don't try to overdose. The spots or disease might look worst initially but that does not mean you need to up the dose...patience is the key. Wish your fishes a speedy recovery and good luck!
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tks for the advise. I will do the salting today and hope for the best.

Rgds.