Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: My tank has a pH value of only 5.1!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Exclamation My tank has a pH value of only 5.1!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi fellow forumers!

I just bought a ph pen (Milwaukee pH 600) and decided to try it after calibrating in the buffering solution.

It shocked me to see my ph readings from my Crystal Red Shrimp and Sakura Shrimp tank to be 5.1! Goodness!

However, the shrimps are alive and well with dozens and dozens of Sakura babies! could anyone enlighten me who's the culprit?

Here's the specs of my tank.

dimensions of tank: 1 foot cube.
    temperature: 25 degree celsius
    ph reading: 5.1
    soil: GEX red pack
    filter: Hang On Filter
    filter medium: just those normal filter sponges and nothing else.
    flora: taiwan moss
    fauna: Crystal Red Shrimps, Sakura Shimps and babies!!!, random snails, bumble bee snails.

Btw i use an old plastic water dispenser to store my water to make it aged before transferring it into the tank. I added anti-chlorine and pack of active carbon + some white stones inside (don't know what's that called.) the ph measurement is ph 6.

Could it be the active carbon + GEX soil red pack that caused the acidity?

Any idea how i could bring the ph up cause i know CRS needs ph 6.8 to 7 in order to thrive.

Thks!

regards,
    Ben

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bENjEE,

This is slightly OT but I think some forum members can benfit from the discussion.
    So, Singapore water used to be very soft pH at 7.0 and little buffer (i.e. you can bring down the pH easily).
    From my research, in the "old days" we had only one water purification facility.
    Hence, water quality was maintain with one standard and uniform for the whole country.
    Now there are a few facilities with different percentage composition of "new water".
    From my discussion with some forum members it seems water in northern Singapore tends to be harder, up to 8.0 reported.

For hard water in the 8.0 range you will need to "take out" the buffer matter before you can bring the pH down.
    This is why I recommend using specific water treatments like Sera pH minus.
    Once you are close to your target use ketapang leaves or peat (more effective pH reducer).

For those with the "luck" of having the "old" water standard you don't need the water treatment products.
    Just go direct with ketapang leave or peat.

Now the short answer to your questions is, to have neutral gravel (i.e. dennerle quartz gravel) and add coral chips in your filter.

To add, btw I have not tried this myself but would IF I kept CRS, you can try using kelpt tablets.
    Kelpt is a seaweed that grows in the temperate seas of the world.
    They are sold as a health supplement with high iron and calcium content.
    Being natural product this could be a good way to add calcium to your CRS diet.
    Kelpt tablets can be obtained at most pharmacies and I believe they don't cost too much.

PS - With the "new water" I do suspect that the chemicals they add fluctuate.
    So if more "new water" was used they add more chemicals. In short, keep to your method of ageing your water!
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems like the only thing that could be pulling down the pH should be the substrate.

Did you calibrate your pH pen properly? What's the reading for normal tap water?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi celticfish!

Thanks for your swift reply! I'll go buy the coral chips soon once the shops are open!

From my tap, i measured pH of 7.0 so i think it is of the "old" water standard.

Kelpt tablets sounds good! I'll go get them too!

One question is peat to be placed in the filter as medium?

Thanks!

regards,
    Ben
    Last edited by benny; 11th Feb 2008 at 11:59. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Seems like the only thing that could be pulling down the pH should be the substrate.

Did you calibrate your pH pen properly? What's the reading for normal tap water?

Cheers,

Hi benny!

I my pH readings from the tap is 7.0. My guess is the substrate too. But i heard is good for CRS so i bought it. Didn't know it caused the water to be so acidic. Anyway maybe be changing to dennerle quartz gravel as bro celticfish has suggested.

i calibrated almost 4 times. and it still read the same. Battery is good as it is new so couldn't be it.

Thanks for your reply!

regards,
    Ben

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It depends on how "quick" you want the peat to work.
    If you prefer a quicker effectiveness of the peat put it in the filter.
    Otherwise you can just "hang" the peat in a mesh bag in the tank, unsightly though...
    btw peat should be added only if you want to lower the pH.
    IF you just want to increase pH add coral chips in the filter.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bENjEE View Post
    Hi benny!
    i calibrated almost 4 times. and it still read the same. Battery is good as it is new so couldn't be it.
    Maybe you want to check the buffering solution? I am not sure if your tank water is really at pH 5.1 as I thought the snails will suffer at such low pH.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jacian View Post
    Maybe you want to check the buffering solution? I am not sure if your tank water is really at pH 5.1 as I thought the snails will suffer at such low pH.
    I doubted the pH pen at first. so i tried my tap water and my other tank's water. they appeared normal with a pH of 6.8-7.1. so i confirm its the soil and my readings are correct.

I bought a pack of coral chips and cut open the bag and threw some into the filter on 11/2/08 at 3pm. to my surprise ...

pH 5.7 at 4.10pm
    pH 5.9 at 5.15pm
    pH 6.8 at 7.00pm (hence i felt it was dangerous, so i took out most.)
    pH 6.9 at 8.04pm

i've just measured the pH and its settled at pH 6.9.

thks for all the advices and suggestions!