Images
    Country
    Singapore

Effective of Malayan vs Yamatos in Planted Tanks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My collection of 20pcs of Yamatos just died this morning.. suspected the death was due to CO2 overdose.. they just died slowly, without turning red..

Anyway I was thinking of getting 100 pcs of Malayan to replace the 20 Yamatos. Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of Malayan vs Yamatos in Algae eating?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My collection of 20pcs of Yamatos just died this morning.. suspected the death was due to CO2 overdose.. they just died slowly, without turning red..

Anyway I was thinking of getting 100 pcs of Malayan to replace the 20 Yamatos. Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of Malayan vs Yamatos in Algae eating?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My experience is, the malayans are no where to be seen right after putting them into the tank. So whether they are working or not, I would not know.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with Sherchoo on Malayan Shrimps. I hardly see them in my tank and when I do see them, I hardly see them working. Am going to by some Yamatos cos the one and only one that I have is a really good worker.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    While we are at it, can you tell me if the probable reason to why my 20 yamatos die is due to CO2 overdose?

I read somewhere in the forum to drill more holes on the rainbar to slow down the flowrate from filter.. so I did just that. The flow rate really drop as compared to not using rainbar at all. That was last night. And I thought I did a good job for my tank..

This morning at 1000hrs (my CO2 and light starts at 0700hrs) 1 Yamatos confirmed dead when I woke up. The rest are half dead. None of them were red or turning red. I cannot bear to see them suffer so I catch all of them and flush them down the WC.

I did not test my CO2 but I am using the external CO2 'reactor' from NA. And my CO2 for my 4ft is easily 5BPS. I think that must have caused my Yamatos collection to mati.

I also did some heavy replanting yesterday. Along the way I disturb the substrate and at one time some base fertiliser leak to the water. Can that be the reason too?

My Yamatos have been very healthy. Few of them actually were carrying eggs..

Now that Malayan may not be effective, can anyone tell me where to get Yamatos other than C328? NA said their supply of Yamatos has been broken.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My 100 malayans were active and visible when I first intro to tank. After the aro went in, they all went into hiding under the thick foreground. When they come to the front of the glass, I do see them working, so I assume they are clearing up dead leaves, etc under the undergrowth.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    malayan does come out and play (and sometimes work) as long as they are not harassed. So barbs, rainbows, rams, etc will send them into hiding really quick.

after I removed my barbs (P. partpentazona) my hundreds of malayan came out to dance amongst the hairgrass. wonder how they knew…
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The death of the Yamatos could CO2 poisoning (as u susopected). After the drilling, you could have reduced the co2 rate to maybe 2 bub/s and readjust it up from there.

Another reason maybe is due to no2/nh3 poisoning as it as u explained you did some replanting and the fert may have seep into the water column.

Or.. it could be both reasons.

Either which.... it can be solved and flushing your shrimps down the toilet could be avoided. Water change will be a good move...maybe 40~50% depending how much fert got mixed into the water. For CO2, as explained above.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    from what i observed with my now departed yamatoes [: ((], if it is due to no3 poisoning, yamatoes will be 'immobilised' first before dying. they don't turn red immediately and takes a couple of hours.
    thomas liew