Country
    Singapore

DIY external canister filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    http://www.petfrd.com/forum/articles...ticle&artid=87

refer to the above article for the guide.

question: how to drill such a hole(mine is 13mm and 15mm) when the biggest multi purpose drill bit is 10mm??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    question: how to drill such a hole(mine is 13mm and 15mm) when the biggest multi purpose drill bit is 10mm??

answer: use your 10mm bit and drill around the 1st hole; you need not have a complete clean and nice circle as you'll still need to silicon the area later.

good luck!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    before you start, I suggest that you container is air/water tight in the present of pressure from inside. I tried before but does not work because it start leaking when the pump on.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post

answer: use your 10mm bit and drill around the 1st hole; you need not have a complete clean and nice circle as you'll still need to silicon the area later.

good luck!

meaning?? use 10 mm drill 13mm hole??

before you start, I suggest that you container is air/water tight in the present of pressure from inside. I tried before but does not work because it start leaking when the pump on.
    lock and lock can right?? pressure from inside? is it like squeezing the container with water inside while it is closed??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what is our pump flowrate? If not mistaken I was using 1200 l/h but it can also because I'm unlucky
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Y DIY? use a spoil canister better and Cheaper..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    what is our pump flowrate? If not mistaken I was using 1200 l/h but it can also because I'm unlucky

250l/hr.. mine is moss and betta tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jason6142004 View Post
    meaning?? use 10 mm drill 13mm hole??
    If I have understood it correctly. You can use your 10mm drill bit to drill several overlapping holes hence giving you a 13mm (but not so perfectly rounded) hole. You can then use silicon + bulkhead in the area, hence it doesn't need to be a perfect circle.

Cheers

P.S. Not sure about the pressure though, but if your DIY works, be sure to share some pictures of it as well as the construction process yah?
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bossteck View Post
    If I have understood it correctly. You can use your 10mm drill bit to drill several overlapping holes hence giving you a 13mm (but not so perfectly rounded) hole. You can then use silicon + bulkhead in the area, hence it doesn't need to be a perfect circle.

Cheers

P.S. Not sure about the pressure though, but if your DIY works, be sure to share some pictures of it as well as the construction process yah?

where can i find a bulkhead of this size? i will show pics of my construction.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I did a similar project last year..drilled a 10mm hole and squeezed the pipe through and i didn't even have to use silicon to seal the gaps, no matter how I twisted and turned there are no water leakage. However,it is the lock n lock container that gave way. I was only using a 200l/hr pump in my tank to pump water into the canister. I gave up and got a hydor after the DIY leaked and flooded my cubicle in office. It is then i realised the good of a proper canister filter - your water remain crystal clear

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by alechim View Post
    I did a similar project last year..drilled a 10mm hole and squeezed the pipe through and i didn't even have to use silicon to seal the gaps, no matter how I twisted and turned there are no water leakage. However,it is the lock n lock container that gave way. I was only using a 200l/hr pump in my tank to pump water into the canister. I gave up and got a hydor after the DIY leaked and flooded my cubicle in office. It is then i realised the good of a proper canister filter - your water remain crystal clear

meaning?? a good pump is needed?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    meaning?? a good pump is needed?
    my DIY did not do a gd job at mechanical filtering. And some how my Lock n Lock is not water tight as it should be ( I had even used thick rubber bands to secure the lid). I realised having gone all the trouble, I might as well invest in a relative cheap canister and save all the trouble.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my DIY did not do a gd job at mechanical filtering. And some how my Lock n Lock is not water tight as it should be ( I had even used thick rubber bands to secure the lid). I realised having gone all the trouble, I might as well invest in a relative cheap canister and save all the trouble.

the reason why i embarked on DIY is that i have no space... and where did the lock and lock leak?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the reason why i embarked on DIY is that i have no space... and where did the lock and lock leak?
    It leaked from the cover. How big you want your DIY? I did a big 1, think my Lock n Lock is around 2L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It leaked from the cover. How big you want your DIY? I did a big 1, think my Lock n Lock is around 2L

mine 3.2L leh!! IDE LIAO!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't worry, it might be an exceptional case your DIY will work?
    My plan initially was to manually suck the tank water into the canister filter before running the pump. Imagine to suck 2L of water, I dont have that much breath. In the end I just locate the pump into the tank and let it pump water into the DIY. So long the water does not reach the brim there will be no leak. I had tried many methods to control the flow such that inflow and outflow will be the same (including putting a control valve along the outflow), but all does not work. Even if there is a few times it work, I realised my water is brownish in colour and kind of dirty. I assume my mechanical filtration is not working. The flood was devastating, so i just bought a canister. Some times the ROI over effort and worries is much more.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't worry, it might be an exceptional case your DIY will work?
    My plan initially was to manually suck the tank water into the canister filter before running the pump. Imagine to suck 2L of water, I dont have that much breath. In the end I just locate the pump into the tank and let it pump water into the DIY. So long the water does not reach the brim there will be no leak. I had tried many methods to control the flow such that inflow and outflow will be the same (including putting a control valve along the outflow), but all does not work. Even if there is a few times it work, I realised my water is brownish in colour and kind of dirty. I assume my mechanical filtration is not working. The flood was devastating, so i just bought a canister. Some times the ROI over effort and worries is much more.

i am planning to locate my pump in the canister just like all canister filters. hope that mine will not leak.. i think i will test it for 24 hrs, normally the time to test watercooling components for computers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Good luck! Hoep to hear some good news from you