Country
    Singapore

Tankmates for my CRS tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am planning to start a CRS tank.

What are the companions that can live harmonically into a tank with CRS?

Any fauna that is a definite "no-no" for CRS?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Otos are a good choice. Some fishes might not be harmful to adult crs but they might pose a threat to shrimplets.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fishes with their mouth able to swallow a shrimp are NO NO! Fishes with fast swimming montion also NO NO.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Best is solely CRS and nothing else if you want to breed CRS shrimplets.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's easier to list what are the suitable tankmates. Haha. And I would say safest would be otos, though I've read of others claiming that Boraras brigittae to be shrimp safe too.
    God will make a way, where there seems to be no way

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Boraras brigattae cannot la, they are like a search and destroy crew picking within the mosses for bits of tasty shrimplets.

In a previous setup with loads of pregnant cherries and two Boraras brigattae, I had zero shrimplets survive. Further these devils are really fast swimmers and a nightmare to remove, keep dancing around the driftwoods teasing you and feasting on a baby while doing so.

But I would really like to keep some fishes for variety. What are the fishes with the smallest mouths (plankonic feeders?) or vegetarians?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 29th Mar 2008 at 20:15. Reason: Merge posts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    the usual . ottos,but they are hard to aclimate.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    Boraras brigattae cannot la, they are like a search and destroy crew picking within the mosses for bits of tasty shrimplets.

In a previous setup with loads of pregnant cherries and two Boraras brigattae, I had zero shrimplets survive. Further these devils are really fast swimmers and a nightmare to remove, keep dancing around the driftwoods teasing you and feasting on a baby while doing so.

But I would really like to keep some fishes for variety. What are the fishes with the smallest mouths (plankonic feeders?) or vegetarians?
    Erm...not so?I've successfully kept them together with shrimps and yet constantly need to sell off my shrimps to reduce bioload! I believe the key is to have ample hiding space?My 10 Boraras brigattae are constantly on upper levels with my 15 galaxies,almost never see them at bottom region.Lastly i believe it partly has to do with feeding regime.If you don't feed your other fauna besides your shrimp,them feasting on whatever small enough to swallow is perfectly logical?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 30th Mar 2008 at 18:58. Reason: SMS lingo: 'whateva'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Given enough hiding places or a heavily planted tanks, shrimplets will have a higher chance of survival, just make sure you have shrimp foods readily. Some bro recommended a cheaper alternate to feeding them a while back.