Images
    Country
    England

Keeping Gobies and Hillstream loaches together

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Would there be any problem keeping hill streamloaches (Sewellia, Gastromyzon etc.) with some gobies (Rhinogobius, Stiphodon etc.) They will be housed in a 210l, 50g tank measuring 39"x23"x15"tall

I know that they come from similar biotope cool, fast flowing, well oxygenated water. I am thinking of the following species in the tank -

Rhinogobius sp. (probably 'duospilus' (wui))
    Stiphodon atropurpureus
    Stiphodon percnopterygionus
    Sewellia lineolata
    Pseudogastromyzon cheni

What do you think are these compatible?
    Last edited by afroturf; 14th Feb 2008 at 22:52. Reason: extra info
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Don't think there should be any major problems. Used to keep them before, barring Stiphodon percnopterygionus, but in different tanks though.

Just a note that all those you listed are likely algae eaters (although they do feed on just about anything you drop in the tank) except Rhinogobius duospilus. If you are banking on just algae for their diet, then R. duospilus would be a problem.

Main diet should include meaty food. In my tank, I fed them on live tubifex and frozen bloodworm. Not too sure on dry food, but information seems to mention that they may refuse flakes and such food.

They can also be a little quarrelsome among themselves, so require some hiding places. The size of your tank is big though, so this shouldn't worry you.

Do share with us your tank once it has been set up!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Cheers for the reply, providing different foods won't be a problem.

Could anyone help me with a suitable fish to go in the upper levels of the water, it obviously has to tolerate the lower temps and the high current. I'd like something a bit different to white cloud minnow or zebra danios. I was thinking of Chela dadyburjori or Inlecypris auropurpureus any other ideas?

Also are there any plants that are commonly found in hillstream habitats?

Cheers.
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I think the fishes you mentioned should be fine. Generally, you can also choose other Danio or Devario spp. as well.

The hillstream habitats generally has plenty of rocks and very few plants (if any at all). But for the aquarium, you can use Anubias or Micosorum sp.

If you are curious about the habitat of S. lineolata, here are some photos from the Loaches Online site.
    http://www.loaches.com/articles/sewe...-our-aquariums

(BTW, Chela dadyburjori could have been mispelled in the old days, and it is C. dadiburjori now.)