Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Tips for shooting planted tank, esp moving fishes !!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tips for shooting planted tank, esp moving fishes !!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Folks,

Recently just acquired a Canon Ixus V3. Very pleased with the camera size and surprisely rich manual controls for it's size and picture quality. But I'm having problem capturing fishes which are always moving using macro mode. The result is blurred fish and clear plants

Tips on how-to appreciated. For eg. turn off all background light, ISO level ? shutter speed ? tripod absolutely necessary ? etc etc.

Thanks a lot folks !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Folks,

Recently just acquired a Canon Ixus V3. Very pleased with the camera size and surprisely rich manual controls for it's size and picture quality. But I'm having problem capturing fishes which are always moving using macro mode. The result is blurred fish and clear plants

Tips on how-to appreciated. For eg. turn off all background light, ISO level ? shutter speed ? tripod absolutely necessary ? etc etc.

Thanks a lot folks !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot folks !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot folks !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tripod would only help if you have shaky hands :> coz your problem is fast moving fishes, you need at least 1/60th seconds shutter speed to capture them. with that speed, u don't really need a tripod.

to achieve that 1/60th or faster shutter speed... you can either
    1. use higher ISO (400 or above)
    2. or use stronger lights (a 2x36W light should be bright enough)

don't use your camera flash coz it causes reflections on your tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually can try using flash to a certain extent. But you have to tilt the camera slightly so the flash do not get bounced off the tank glass back into your camera. Try a few and see if results are acceptable.
    Another technique would be "panning". i.e. following the movement of the fish and then snapping at the right moment while your camera follow through with the fish movement. This could get you a sharper fish pic but background will be a blur.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    kewl. thks guys !

I suggest you take table lamps (with white light) and placing them to shine into the tank to increase lighting if your tank lights aren't enuff? and you can try placing an angled cardboard just below your camera's flash such that it angles the light to bounce off the ceiling and into the tank from the top? (if your tank isn't fully covered)
    and I think its always good to use tripod or at the very least support your hands on a chair or table top! and use as high a ISO or ASA rating as possible. and use as fast a speed as the camera will allow.
    good luck!