Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sighting 16 Feb 08: Wild Heckel Discus at C328

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    HI People, i jus purchased 2 heckel frm Clementi 328. about 6 of them left. There are also abt 8 Altum there....do check it out.They are located in the tanks near the cashier.

Anyway, anyone know how to keep these discus in the best conditions in a planted tank?like is regular water change, peat needed etc?t Thanks
    Last edited by benny; 17th Feb 2008 at 12:09. Reason: spelling
    Getting into Fishy Business

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, you should check the conditions required by discus before making the purchase. Generally speaking, they are not the right fish for beginners. Planted tanks are also not the ideal environment for these fish unless certain conditions are met.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you should condition the heckle to accept commercial food and less scared of people before placing them in planted tank. I've tried them in the past and they only take bloodworms. Sometimes they do not even come out to feed when I'm standing in front of the tank.
    Best Regards
    YongHua

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Toshika, thanks for the info.

Any experts who succeed in rearing Heckel in planted tanks please share your experience. They are lovely fish but heard that like in the case of any wild catch, the initial stage is risky. But I am sure there are many who have Heckel in planted tank.
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ThANKS for the replies. So what should i do now with them since they are not coming out...and like what some say, they are really afraid when we go near..maybe i should observe them for 1 month or so....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You should keep them in a seperate bare tank for the time being. Their colours will appear dark and their dorsal fins are closed due to stress. Feed little as they are unlikely to have big appetite. Adult discus can go without food for a week so not to worry. When they get climatise, you should de-worm them before introducing into your community tank. All these will take about a month.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshika View Post
    HI People, i jus purchased 2 heckel frm Clementi 328. about 6 of them left. There are also abt 8 Altum there....do check it out.They are located in the tanks near the cashier.

Anyway, anyone know how to keep these discus in the best conditions in a planted tank?like is regular water change, peat needed etc?t Thanks

correction. Those are not altums. They are peruvians. At the price(Less one red note per piece) that Mrs Toh is selling them, they can't be altums. I was there last week and saw the pieces. Confirm not altums.

Cheers!!
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there was a late altum shipment that came in this week david. the yishun lfs (can't remember which block) also had a shipment come it. they were altums

last week there was a brazillian/peruvian shipment that came in, which was probably what you saw

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

fishy pics.

HI...for those of you interested.these are my tank pics. attached are my tank pics, Apistogramma agassizi, baby A.vijieta, cory galore and heckel discus...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Justikanz; 18th Feb 2008 at 00:54. Reason: Please spell properly, thank you...