Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: My Hornwort melted? what's wrong?!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My Hornwort melted? what's wrong?!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

my hornwort melted in my new (2-day old) planted tank. but the other plants look okay.

My tiger lotus and x'mas moss are bubbling well undergoing synthesis. the hair grasses look well settled?

i'v introduced one otto, one SAE. they are coping well. the water is crystal clear.

I placed the hornwort there to help control algae (with its emitted toxins) now that it's melting. the leaves (or rather, twigs?) have melted leaving just the stem behind. i'm concerned.

anyone has similar experiences before? very concerned.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi folks,

my hornwort melted in my new (2-day old) planted tank. but the other plants look okay.

My tiger lotus and x'mas moss are bubbling well undergoing synthesis. the hair grasses look well settled?

i'v introduced one otto, one SAE. they are coping well. the water is crystal clear.

I placed the hornwort there to help control algae (with its emitted toxins) now that it's melting. the leaves (or rather, twigs?) have melted leaving just the stem behind. i'm concerned.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi folks,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi folks,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hornwort is a fast grower. I also have problem growing it in my 2.5ft tank where it drop leaves till botak. However in less desirable conditions such as a breeding tank with only daylight, no CO2 -- it thrived.
    I am also puzzled. In most tanks, it should grow like crazy.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thats what happen to the hornwort in my 6footer, though i float them on the surface, they simply rot to the stems.. but those in my 4ft was thriving so much till I gave them all away. What I'm assuming is there is a lack of certain nutrients in the water, but I dun have the necessary test kit to test the water out

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ceratophyllum demersum, better known as Hornwort, is one of the easiest plants to grow. I've seen them growing in the darkest conditions and also under very high lighting. Under different lighting intensities, the colours of the leaves become different. It becomes darker green in colour when there's poor light.

Although easy to grow, Hornwort has a strange characteristic. If you put them into new water or if you change too much water, the plant will melt overnight.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i guess that's what happened. My tank is very new... only 2 days old. and i didn't age the water. could the chlorine has melted the hornwart?

help... anyone has more hornwart to spare?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    could the chlorine has melted the hornwart?
    ----------------------------------

I don't think it's chlorine that melts hornworts but I'm not sure about this. More likely, hornworts don't take well to sudden changes in water chemistry, like Crypts. In my tanks, the hornwort will melt too if I put in too much salt.

Actually, there's not that much chlorine in our tanks. For those of us who live in HDB flats - if your water comes from the tank on the roof of the block, whatever chlorine is in the water would have evaporated by the time it reaches your taps.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    call me sua ku...
    anybody has a pic of hornwart?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not all HDB flats water supply come from storage tanks. Not sure about new flats but lower floors, the water is pumped up while the higher floors comes from the storage tanks.

That's why during peak hour, the water pressure seems lower in older, higher floor flats.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the only time my hornwort melted is when I use algicide.

meanwhile, sg is using choloramine and choloramine will take 1 week to age out of the water with constant aeration..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Netherlands

Re: My Hornwort melted? what's wrong?!

When the plant melts, can it grow again if i keep the stem in water or not?